Control panel voltmeter - LEDs

H0ME

Hi - I have installed one of the smaller control panels with an LED voltmeter. I assumed maybe incorrectly that it would go to sleep after a time? Is this not the case and this thing is permenantly on - so making light blue haze in the corner of the van through the night?! Not good.

You can wire it through a switch to turn it on when needed.

Got a few pics?

Had the same problem so wired in a switch so I could turn it off, also prevents the small draw flattening the leisure battery

Maybe a bit more difficult depending on your build but maybe wire the meters earth to the courtesy light earth for a more automated solution?

Good thinking! I’ll look at rewiring one of the spare switches to it. Odd design though, why would anyone want a permanent readout like that?

Dont use the courtesy earth, theres a permanent earth and a door switched one so it will either be permanently live or only come on when the door is open, its the positive on the courtesy circuit that times out after a while so could use that instead ??

i used one of the switches on the switch panel to turn the meters and chargers on/off.

as above, you need to be able to switch everything OFF so your battery doesnt drain flat.

1654836836643.png

1654836822450.png

1654836898513.png1654836918914.png

and . . .

1654836965960.png

1654836986688.png

1654837008705.png

Good thinking! I’ll look at rewiring one of the spare switches to it. Odd design though, why would anyone want a permanent readout like that?
We are assuming it’s measuring your leisure battery and has been added as part of a conversion- it’s done that way to save a bit of time I guess but that dim blue light is incredibly bright at 4 in the morning!!

Dont use the courtesy earth, theres a permanent earth and a door switched one so it will either be permanently live or only come on when the door is open, its the positive on the courtesy circuit that times out after a while so could use that instead ??
I don't think that's right @Pauly. I'm pretty sure the earth is controlled by the BCM too. I've wired my cargo LED's positive direct to the leisure battery and the earth to the switched courtesy earth and the lights fade out to off after 10 minutes but yeah, the meter would only come on for 10 minutes after a door is opened and would switch off immediately if you locked the van or closed all doors.
EDIT: Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I get where you're coming from with the positive. Using that would also provide a timeout on the meter but not sure what needs to be done to activate it if you wanted to read the meter after the timeout? Maybe unlock the doors to wake up the BCM?

Last edited:
Back