Composition Colour swap-out

beej

Hi,having just joined and scouring the informative topics I have unfortunately the Composition Colour head unit in my T6.It has been brought up many times that the units cannot be upgraded due to being paired to each van.Would I be able to remove this head unit and fit a non VW head unit like Kenwood,Pioneer etc without any issues as in straight swap barring wiring connection kit and if so what would any recommendation be.
Thanks for reading.....hopefully.

Hi @beej welcome to the forum. There are a few aftermarket head units that will retain the oem MFSW, PDC display, reverse camera and MFD integration. Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine are the popular ones. Speak to @Absolut5 he‘s the man :thumbsup:

Thanks Deaky for the heads up,no pun intended.As its the Startline quite basic with the extras,no MFSW although I had the rear parking sensors fitted as my wife was happier having them....and so was I :)Will certainly check out the aftermarket ones and have a chat with Absolut5.

It has been brought up many times that the units cannot be upgraded due to being paired to each van.
I've not heard of this - can you offer any more info or a link to somewhere I can read up? I'm hoping to upgrade to the Compostition Media unit.

Hi Deaston,I also wanted to upgrade and thought it was just a matter of plug and play.Not sure of a link but if you type in Composition Colour in the search box it should bring up other members questions and replys,worth reading through before splashing out your cash.Some functions seem to shut down when swapping VW head units.My Dab signal is also non existant another topic on here,how is yours?

I've not heard of this - can you offer any more info or a link to somewhere I can read up? I'm hoping to upgrade to the Compostition Media unit.
All VW head units are locked to the vin number of the van. It’s no problem to fit an aftermarket head unit. What you can’t do is fit a VW head unit that’s been in someone else’s van. You would have to get the component protection removed first.

Thanks Deaky looks like after market research is on the cards.Regarding the Dab signal due to the poor aerial system would you advise shark fin or similar for the after market unit?

Thanks Deaky looks like after market research is on the cards.

Regarding the DAB signal due to the poor aerial system would you advise shark fin or similar for the after market unit?
I’ve read people on here have better radio signal with a shark-fin.

Do the windscreen aerials still exist? Wonder if they’d be better than the wing-mirror offering..?

I’ve read people on here have better radio signal with a shark-fin.

Do the windscreen aerials still exist? Wonder if they’d be better than the wing-mirror offering..?
Does seem a pity that such a good vehicle is plagued by so many reports of bad dab signal reception.With technology now,mobiles,5g,remote switching of household appliances etc Dab radio really seems way behind in quality,quantity and just reliability.

Back