Coilovers - Which Ones?

I had B14's on my van and found them very harsh and crashy. I had them removed and STX's fitted by Chris at the Van Cave and the ride quality is so much better.

I had B14's on my van and found them very harsh and crashy. I had them removed and STX's fitted by Chris at the Van Cave and the ride quality is so much better.
what was the cost to supply and fit, and what drop did you go for

STX's were £979 including the VAT.
I had other work done at the same time so can't say what the fitting cost.
Also not sure how much the van was lowered as I left all that in Chris's capable hands.

STX's were £979 including the VAT.
I had other work done at the same time so can't say what the fitting cost.
Also not sure how much the van was lowered as I left all that in Chris's capable hands.
Do you have a photo of the van

Check if your Shuttle has T32 suspension before ordering anything as my old one did even through it was a T30. For reference T32 have different front dampers so not compatible with lower rated dampers.

I recently fitted Stance+ coilovers on my Caravelle. I've done about 3k miles on them thus far and very pleased with the ride. Stance get a bad rep on here but I've had a lot of modified vehicles Inc a T5.1 Shuttle on Bilstein/Eibach suspension and the Stance give a very good budget friendly ride.

In the picture they have a good 30mm more to drop but I tow a large Caravan so didn't want it any lower.

IMG_20230311_105612.jpg

Check if your Shuttle has T32 suspension before ordering anything as my old one did even through it was a T30. For reference T32 have different front dampers so not compatible with lower rated dampers.

I recently fitted Stance+ coilovers on my Caravelle. I've done about 3k miles on them thus far and very pleased with the ride. Stance get a bad rep on here but I've had a lot of modified vehicles Inc a T5.1 Shuttle on Bilstein/Eibach suspension and the Stance give a very good budget friendly ride.

In the picture they have a good 30mm more to drop but I tow a large Caravan so didn't want it any lower.

View attachment 192350
That looks quite low, what size rims have you got there

20" wheels. It's probably 60mm lower than stock but as said before there's a good 30mm of thread left on the strut to wind down if I wanted to go lower.

My 2 pence…

Drop will be dependant on your wheel and tyre specs. 60-65 mm is probably the max you want to go to avoid scuffing on the front, but directly related to wheel/tyre combo.

I will vouch for h&r/koni. It is superb in T30 form. T32 form is more harsh as it is designed for a heavier van.

B14’s are old technology, but were the only option for a while, and people like bilstein so you will hear a lot about them. Fact is it’s not a kit sanctioned by bilstein. It is cobbled together by a 3rd party. It is also based on single tube technology which is track pedigree which tends to be harsh. Too harsh for our roads.

Last edited:
T32 form is more harsh as it is designed for a heavier van.
Happy to be able to say that this is not true any more.

There is a new T32 model coming very soon, it might even be in the UK already. It's using the same dual tube, damping rate adjustability that the T30, 28, 26 clamp fitment version has, so it will be just as comfortable.

The previous T32 bracket fitment model was an inverted high pressure monotube shock and wasn't able to match the ride comfort of the clamp fitment kit.

Smaller 18" wheels with 45 profile tyres and B14s make for a less crashy ride compared to 20" wheels and having to wind those same B14s down further and reducing the amount of suspension travel even more.
On the days I find a decent bit of road my set up delivers the goods with near car like handling but factor in potholes and you realise why every other vehicle on the roads these days is a blobby SUV.

Cheers guys for the input, I will need to take a good look when I have time and not rush into anything. Also take a look before regretting any purchases.

Cheers guys for the input, I will need to take a good look when I have time and not rush into anything. Also take a look before regretting any purchases.
You will ‘feel’ your choice every second of every drive.
Choose wisely as suspension is not the place to compromise IMO.

Back