Coilovers - Which Ones?

So far so good, no issues at all, was under van last week inspecting them etc and all good, no rust on springs and adjusters still wind freely

Nice one. I've got 20s on mine with 275/40's. looks like you have similar. How does it ride? Hardish or forgiving? Cheers.

I have read through most of the posts on the forum to do with suspension and will be making some calls to the instal companies suggested on here, but just wanted a general overview from people in the know as to what is the best coilover option currently available? I have a 2017 T30 Highline panel van as a work van. I rarely carry heavy loads and am running it stock and have done since new. I'm after improving the stance, body roll and handling without compromising anything. I was looking at B14 komfort but there seems to be plenty of evidence that the springs fail. I am adding some 18s to replace the 16s and looking at lowering a tad. Thanks.

I have read through most of the posts on the forum to do with suspension and will be making some calls to the instal companies suggested on here, but just wanted a general overview from people in the know as to what is the best coilover option currently available? I have a 2017 T30 Highline panel van as a work van. I rarely carry heavy loads and am running it stock and have done since new. I'm after improving the stance, body roll and handling without compromising anything. I was looking at B14 komfort but there seems to be plenty of evidence that the springs fail. I am adding some 18s to replace the 16s and looking at lowering a tad. Thanks.
Firstly, why coilovers and not a fixed spring + dampener -
will you need to adjust the height in future?

The coil overmarket has been turned on its head over the last 3 years In transporters. Many of the options that were available have proved to be poor design and unreliable . Complicated by fitment centers not knowing the limitations of the kits they sell.
First problem is that a ride height adjustable kit was designed to do just that , the industry has used the adjustability to compensate for increased Weight From mods and camper interior . This was not what they were intended for and it is why they are having lots of issues with springs breaking , they are simply not fit for purpose .
the introduction of. Sport shocks and lowering springs perfectly matched to suit every van and weight has proved to be exceptionally popular. We have done well over. 1000 of these in the last few years . This is the best type of kit if sensible lowering is desired , because the shocks in these kits are far superior in design and functionality to coil over and sleeve over kits .
research can help but remember most comments will simply reflect each one’s personal experience and they are mainly justifying that they spent their money wisely , their solution may not suit you , Chat to the sellers of these kits and ask lots of technical questions , ask them If they will be happy to remove the product if it doesn’t do what they said it would do and what it says on the Tin.
we have seen so many kits that are too low and adjusted to the highest setting , this means the van is too heavy for kit and should not be used as the ride quality will be terrible .
we will be happy to discuss our options with you and direct you through the selection process . We can explain the difference between Sport kits, Coil over kits and the sleeve over kits.

Firstly, why coilovers and not a fixed spring + dampener -
will you need to adjust the height in future?
Thanks buddy. To answer your question, I'll be honest and say that I know nothing about suspension set-ups! I'm not planning to instal anything that would need changing at some point if the initial needs were met, i.e better ride/handling. If you dont mind, what 'spring+damper' could I be looking at? All I've really read about is lowering springs, which sound like the cheap option with a harsh ride, or coilovers which sort out the lowering and smooth out the bumps, albeit with the risk of broken springs.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. To answer your question, I'll be honest and say that I know nothing about suspension set-ups! I'm not planning to instal anything that would need changing at some point if the initial needs were met, i.e better ride/handling. If you dont mind, what 'spring+damper' could I be looking at? All I've really read about is lowering springs, which sound like the cheap option with a harsh ride, or coilovers which sort out the lowering and smooth out the bumps, albeit with the risk of broken springs.
The performance damper and spring is always the way to go. Coilover is only popular for customers who want to go lower than normal. Most dealers push Sleeve-overs or coil-overs because they don’t have access to the right shocks, and more importantly a range of springs, that can cope with all weights of van.
You will see lots of complaints about springs because their simply not applied properly and the range of available springs isn’t big enough ?
we have 12 different spring kits in our range and we can do every model of van to camper to get proper results .
give us a call and I’ll talk you through options.

I recently had STXA coilovers, h&r anti roll bars and 20” alloys fitted by Bognor motors. So far I’m really impressed and happy with how the van feels and rides. To stop the body roll you’ll definitely want to get fitted anti roll bars, the difference is amazin.

@Spokegg , we are a dealer for @crsperformance, so can offer the same great options that they can, but we're a fair bit closer to you. We're still a fair trek from Truro, but we can offer all the options that @CRS Performance can and I'm sure they won't mind me jumping in here! Feel free to give us a call on 01460 249346 Monday to Friday, or message directly on here, or email chris@thevancave.co.uk if you want to discuss further.

Cheers,

Chris,

Hi,

I've got a 2017 Shuttle running on 20's. I'm totally lost on what coilovers to put on it. I'm looking for a decent drop but don't know how low to go. Any recommendations of makes and any pics of your vans would be great.tempImageK2BgVV.png

Last edited:
I used to have B14's, things have move on quite a bit, so I'd only fit those if they were cheap.

You could really do with getting a demo on a couple of vans with various brands so you can choose what you like most.

90% of people are happy with STX from what you read on here, I'm not sure who to recommend up your way though, VW T5 Upgrades are nearish, but they don't do STX.

Have a Google and a search on here, loads of coilover posts.

It depends how low you want to go and how much you want to spend :) mines a shuttle too with bed, kitchen and pop top.

This is on Solows with 18" Banded Amaroks (down 100mm)

20230218_113658.jpg

Thats tasty!!!! I do a lot of abroad travel with it, so it needs to be relating comfy, I see a lot of people going on about stance coilers also

Back