Chasing lows B14 to Solows ??

_GB_

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've had B14's on for 4 and half years and been more than happy with them . After one of my front springs broke I decided I'd try a few things to get a little lower .First was machined top mounts with h&r anti roll bars . The van ended up looking a bit nose heavy so I went for the rear adjuster deletes to level things up .

After driving it was terrible, the front tires started to rub on the liners and the back bounced over speed humps and the whole van rattled. Bugger , I've ruined my van, I was thinking . So with the help of the forum and youtube we've done the following

Removed the top screw on front wheel liner and pushed them over the tab which has thankfully sorted the rubbing .
Put powerflex adjustable bushing in the rear and it now drives straight (it never has )
Cut rear bump stops down which has improved the bouncing but it still feels a bit harsh on speed bumps and pot holes . We didn't put the rubber bit back in which might be causing the harshness over pot holes.

So that's where I'm at now . Looks great but doesn't drive great. I'm thinking I might try some so-lows. Can anyone comment on if So lows on there highest settings will be lower than the second pic. I don't want to go any lower than this really as its a work van and does kind of have to be practical .

Top pic was B14 on the lowest at the back and 10mm left on the front
Bottom is with machined top mounts and rear adjuster delete

IMG_2755.jpgIMG_3527 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's the bottom picture look your after SoLows will be perfect for you. I was also worried about them being too low and adjusted them conservatively when they got fitted but would them down straight away. And the ride even though I am 120mm down is so good !!

What is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the arch?

I've had B14's on for 4 and half years and been more than happy with them . After one of my front springs broke I decided I'd try a few things to get a little lower .First was machined top mounts with h&r anti roll bars . The van ended up looking a bit nose heavy so I went for the rear adjuster deletes to level things up .

After driving it was terrible, the front tires started to rub on the liners and the back bounced over speed humps and the whole van rattled. Bugger , I've ruined my van, I was thinking . So with the help of the forum and youtube we've done the following

Removed the top screw on front wheel liner and pushed them over the tab which has thankfully sorted the rubbing .
Put powerflex adjustable bushing in the rear and it now drives straight (it never has )
Cut rear bump stops down which has improved the bouncing but it still feels a bit harsh on speed bumps and pot holes . We didn't put the rubber bit back in which might be causing the harshness over pot holes.

So that's where I'm at now . Looks great but doesn't drive great. I'm thinking I might try some so-lows. Can anyone comment on if So lows on there highest settings will be lower than the second pic. I don't want to go any lower than this really as its a work van and does kind of have to be practical .

Top pic was B14 on the lowest at the back and 10mm left on the front
Bottom is with machined top mounts and rear adjuster delete

View attachment 155487View attachment 155488
I would say that Solow set at their highest would give you what you're after and might be slightly higher than your second pic, weight dependent. You could also put the standard front top mounts back in too. The ride will be a huge improvement over the B14s. You look a long way down to be honest, if we get the measurement from wheel arch to wheel centre then we can check just how low it is. Is the van in the second pic fully loaded with kit for work?

@Pewt and @The Van Cave 340mm at the back and 360mm on the front .

The weight in the back is more or less the same in both pics This is probably 90% full as I sometimes carry a triple ladder and steps . Don't think it makes any difference but it a T32

@Pewt and @The Van Cave 340mm at the back and 360mm on the front .

The weight in the back is more or less the same in both pics This is probably 90% full as I sometimes carry a triple ladder and steps . Don't think it makes any difference but it a T32
That’s about 125mm down at the back and 105mm at the front. SoLow at their highest I would expect to be slightly higher than that and you should be able to get the arch heights consistent, but with that weight there might not be much in it.

Last edited:
I'm about 125mm down front and rear 255/35/20 and 275/35/20 rear. Just over half way on the front and about 20mm left on the rear ........you'll be fine, go for it you won't be disappointed

E24EA57B-D7F2-4516-8C52-4D10633CA5D6.jpeg

@The Van Cave @Pewt thanks for your help.

I'm surprised that the B14s have gone that low, and I suppose that's the problem. I'm asking them to do what they were not designed for . They have spent there life carrying the weight in my van .
Was thinking that a new set of rear springs to go with the new fronts would improve the ride but I think I've just got to do it :) and run at a height that the suspension was designed for.

If it ends up being to low at the back it'll make me sort out all the crap that I carry around.

@F2JON Love that colour. Is that ascot grey ?

@The Van Cave @Pewt thanks for your help.

I'm surprised that the B14s have gone that low, and I suppose that's the problem. I'm asking them to do what they were not designed for . They have spent there life carrying the weight in my van .
Was thinking that a new set of rear springs to go with the new fronts would improve the ride but I think I've just got to do it :) and run at a height that the suspension was designed for.

If it ends up being to low at the back it'll make me sort out all the crap that I carry around.

@F2JON Love that colour. Is that ascot grey ?
@_GB_ no mate it’s a Porsche colour

There’s a t32 set of solows for sale on here, save yourself some money

@F2JON Ah right , thought it may have been as Ascot looks similar in certain lights/photos. It looks amazin, I bet your made up with it .

Yeah I've seen those but I'll buy them though my business and want the warranty really .

Back