Charging a solar generator

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I probably shouldn't do this but I suspect a question that I asked elsewhere on T6F might have gotten lost in the noise of another topic about the Jackery kit, Here it is again:
I'm tempted by the Jackery 500 as they seem to have very good reviews all over he place. My roof mounted 160W solar panel is currently hard wired to a Ctek 250SA which is then charging my 110Ah leisure battery. My simple brain says that it would be an easy task to fit connectors which allowed me to simply disconnect the solar panel from the Ctek and then plug it into a Jackery if I bought one (I understand that they have a built in MPPT but cannot find any specs for it). Or am I being too simplistic? This would have the advantage of not having to buy or travel with an additional solar panel but the disadvantage of not being able to reposition it for an optimum charge. Any advice for an idiot please?
Also what's the best connector? there seems to be a lot of different types out there and any advice on that and the main question above would be much appreciated.

for the solar panel side MC4 is the standard connector.

you can buy them pre-made or make your own.

@Dellmassive . I did do a quick search but nothing turned up so many thanks - it looks like even an idiot like me could manage that if necessary. That said, I now see that Jackery prices have gone back up again from the 'special offers' that were out last week so I'll probably wait until they go down again before buying as I'm in no rush. By the time that happens, I might even have decided to convert over to Lithium for the van leisure system but that requires a much bigger cash outlay as I need the new battery and at very least a replacement for the Ctek 250SA as my understanding is that it's not lithium compatible. I've not even looked into whether or not my Victron Bluesmart IP65 would be OK yet. Again thanks for the advice as always.

Yes... You are correct.

Ctek D250sa is not lithium compatible as such. (No profile)

Ctek D250SE is lithium compatible.

@Dellmassive. Again thanks for that. I've only just come back to this and seen your other posts but by coincidence I also went out this morning and had a look at the Victron which is, indeed, the lithium compatible version - at least that's something that won't need to be replaced! If I do decide to go down the 'lithium leisure' route I will definitely check them out as they seem to be very well regarded. As mentioned above, I'm in no rush and therefore have plenty of time to think about it but there's a part of me that says it's just wrong from an eco point of view to bin a perfectly good AGM set up - who knows, by the time I do get around to making the leap, lithium prices might even have dropped some more.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and a Dub Style New Year to you and everybody else on T6F.

Back