Changing from H&R Coilovers - Help needed

Thatratman

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I have a t6.1 T32 4M, I had the H&R coilover kit fitted approx 6 months ago. I'm finding the van just too harsh on rough road surfaces. It takes pot holes etc surprisingly well and overall the suspension set ups feels very positive and on a smooth road its faultless. However most of the roads around me are very rough. It's a daily work van and I feel I ned something with more cushioning and not so stiff to take the edge off the rough roads. I've raised the H&Rs to their max, which has helped a little. I'm running 255 45 19's, so a reasonable about of tyre.

I've read and read through the threads on here and spoken several members and to CRS & THQ.
Has anyone else changed from H&R coils?
My decisions lie between the twin adjust project sensitive and KWV1's, or possibly the CRS Koni adjustable but I'd have to have the bracket for the T32.

In exactly the same boat as you.
I'm going to change to the KW Variant 1 just as soon as Steve at CRS has stock - hopefully soon!
I think there is now a T32 version of the Koni damper - is this right @CRS Performance ?

I have the T32 with the Koni Shocks and H&R Springs - CRS fitted it.

I can't fault it. Its low but the ride quality is spot on.. its actually better than the standard dampers and lowered springs as fitted by VW.

Good look in your decision... is there a van you can get out in near you with the Koni set up? Might be worth a passenger ride?
I'm Oxford based so not sure thats any good to you.

Hi, I'm sure the guys you have spoken to have advised accordingly but the KWV1's are a great option and dont forget there are the Bilstein Komforts for T32 also.

Cheers

I had H&R 50mm springs on standard dampers and the ride was harsh even with 17" Davenport wheels

I now have B14 Komforts and @0' Leighton Van LV-1 wheels and the ride is so much better, the harsh bangs have gone as have the vidrations from rough road surface.

It seems with this suspension stuff, it's a real shame you can't easily try before you buy in some way. I don't know how much is personal preference vs van loading/tyres or whatever, but there are never-ending threads explaining how X is clearly way better than Y and a seemingly equal number explaining how much better Y is than X. All seems like an absolute minefield.

Bognor Motors has demonstrators available.
Unfortunately one man's 'rides like a Rolls' is another man's 'wtf!'.

Yeah, demonstrators help I guess although less so if loading/tyres and other things specific to your van have a big effect.

Hi, I'm sure the guys you have spoken to have advised accordingly but the KWV1's are a great option and dont forget there are the Bilstein Komforts for T32 also.

Cheers
Would you say the v1’s would give a considerable amount more comfort than my h&r coilovers?

Bognor Motors has demonstrators available.
Unfortunately one man's 'rides like a Rolls' is another man's 'wtf!'.
I completely agree! I wish I could get to Bognor to test some of their kits but it’s a 10hr round trip from me in Lincolnshire

Everyone that I’ve spoken to, including Oli at Bognor have been very helpful and informative. It’s just so hard making the right decision on all the choices I’ve had suggested.

I had H&R 50mm springs on standard dampers and the ride was harsh even with 17" Davenport wheels

I now have B14 Komforts and @0' Leighton Van LV-1 wheels and the ride is so much better, the harsh bangs have gone as have the vidrations from rough road surface.
Did you notice any reduction in road noise?

I have recently swapped from B14's to KW V1 on my T32 the front in particular was running very low at around 90mm down on the B14s
Steve at CRS set the new KW's at about 60mm down all round and it drives so differently I can actually feel the suspension working.
I would definitely say it seems quieter in the cabin. Dont get me wrong its still a firm ride but it just seems more compliant no bouncing or banging.
In my opinion this is the best compromise, still looks low but not like the suspension has collapsed and I am not wincing and swerving all over the road to avoid man hole covers.
It just seems to work how it should, honestly I would love it to look lower but at least I can now take passengers without damaging their spine.
My advice would be to hold out for the KW's

In exactly the same boat as you.
I'm going to change to the KW Variant 1 just as soon as Steve at CRS has stock - hopefully soon!
I think there is now a T32 version of the Koni damper - is this right @CRS Performance ?
Yes KONI have officially launched a T 32 damper after years of trying to convince them there was a market ( they didn't think there would be demand ) we realise that UK is the biggest T 32 market ( No idea why ,? is it tax breaks or similar for the heavier van ?> )

Stock is slowly coming in as we ordered all the first production run . These are sport shocks of course NOT coil over and will couple to the after market springs ,
KONI don't make Coil overs at all , they stopped developing coil over kits after the Mk 5 Golf ( 2006 > ) and haven't placed any importance on them since .
We are discussing the production of an Official KONI Coil over kit for Transporters at the moment but this project will take a year or so to get on to our shelves .

Yes KONI have officially launched a T 32 damper after years of trying to convince them there was a market ( they didn't think there would be demand ) we realise that UK is the biggest T 32 market ( No idea why ,? is it tax breaks or similar for the heavier van ?> )

Stock is slowly coming in as we ordered all the first production run . These are sport shocks of course NOT coil over and will couple to the after market springs ,
KONI don't make Coil overs at all , they stopped developing coil over kits after the Mk 5 Golf ( 2006 > ) and haven't placed any importance on them since .
We are discussing the production of an Official KONI Coil over kit for Transporters at the moment but this project will take a year or so to get on to our shelves .
@CRS Performance
Hi Steve, have Koni simply added the T32 mounting bracket to their standard shock, effectively replicating what you have been fitting ?

Yes that is exactly what they have done , I have checked all the dimensions and damping forces they are all the same .

Steve

Back