Changing double-seat for single passenger seat: what is the box beneath called?

Yvonne

Hi there,
We‘ve just bought our T6 but it has a bench seat that we want to replace with a swivel bucket seat/captain seat (are these interchangeable terms) on passenger side. The place we are having our campervan conversion done says we need to buy a seat with a metal box - does anyone know what that means and how I ensure this comes with any seat we buy. I also have no idea where to get a seat from!
Feeling daunted,
Yvonne

Yes it can be swapped for a single seat. The metal box is the seat base, which you will need. And a seat swivel.

s-l1600.jpg

Find a friendly VW Van outfitter nearby to help you.

Thanks Chris that is very helpful. So we can buy this seat base separatel. I don’t suppose they come when you purchase seats?

Every time I search for swivel seats on eBay I have to sift through hundreds of seat cover items instead of actual seats.is there a way round that? Is a captain seat different to a bucket seat?

I have just fitted one of these which does away with needing the base and is lowered so as to remain same height as drivers seat. As the swivels tend to raise the seat up by the thickness of the swivel itself . It is well made and swivels really easy with no movement in the plate to cause wobble on the seat which several makes of swivel seem to suffer from, according to other peoples reports on this forum.

VW T5/T6 Replacement Passenger Seat Base with Safe & Swivel All-in-One (Right Hand Drive)

Back