20” wheels and the ride is good!

Wato66

I've been pondering a change to 20 inch wheels for the last 12 months, but have seen so many negative posts on social media about the bumpier ride I've delayed and delayed. Well I've just gone from 17 inch 60 profile to 20 inch 40 profile and can honestly say there is no change in the ride, possibly a little less role on corners. Still on standard VW suspension.

The van is fully loaded and sits lower at the rear so I need to level it up, so I will need coil overs, the question is are bilstien B14's as good as the standard suspension when on 20 inch wheels, and also is the ride on B14 Komforts worth the extra cost over standard b14 ?

Thanks in advance

Get a demo and make your own mind up because vehicle suspension is very subjective and there are plenty of sharks out there who will take your money and convince you that what they’ve fitted is amazing.

@BognorMotors have a range of Transporters for you to have a demo in.

I've been pondering a change to 20 inch wheels for the last 12 months, but have seen so many negative posts on social media about the bumpier ride I've delayed and delayed. Well I've just gone from 17 inch 60 profile to 20 inch 40 profile and can honestly say there is no change in the ride, possibly a little less role on corners. Still on standard VW suspension.

The van is fully loaded and sits lower at the rear so I need to level it up, so I will need coil overs, the question is are bilstien B14's as good as the standard suspension when on 20 inch wheels, and also is the ride on B14 Komforts worth the extra cost over standard b14 ?

Thanks in advance
There are lots of product out there that can do what you need and you dont have to go the coil over route at all , We only use C/o for ezcessive drops ( more than 50 mm ) The komforts are grossly over priced and under designed , you can buy a better solution for a lot less , message me for the details

I have solows and run 20s I genuinely don’t think it’s that harsh of a ride when I had the standard highline wheels on yes it wasn’t as bumpy but felt more springy didn’t like it much prefer the 20s
Also have you consider STXA coilovers if you haven’t got a t32 or the twin monotube projekt low coilovers these 2 will give fantastic ride quality but you will always get a little harsher ride on 20 due to the profile of tyre if you could go for a 40/45 profile tyre you should be fine
Hope this helps

On my LWB T32 I had KW V1 coilovers and 20 inch wheels from Steve at CRS afew months ago. I have a 40 profile tyre and it definitely runs better than it did on the standard suspension and 17 inch Devonports!

On my LWB T32 I had KW V1 coilovers and 20 inch wheels from Steve at CRS afew months ago. I have a 40 profile tyre and it definitely runs better than it did on the standard suspension and 17 inch Devonports!
Telling us the profile of a tyre means little without the width.

Thanks in advance
Hi Wato66,

Have you remained on the original springs or did you change?

I'm looking at moving to Trident 20", running 235/35ZR20 and having new lowering springs.

All recommended for my VW T6 T30 Kombi Edition by my local VW dealership.

Definitely want better handling but without being jarred to death by an overly harsh ride!

Hi Wato66,

I'm looking at moving to Trident 20", running 235/35ZR20 and having new lowering springs.

Definitely want better handling but without being jarred to death by an overly harsh ride!
Now on b14 komforts lowered 60mm. Great ride in my opinion better than 17 Devonports.

Hi Wato66,

In reality springs dont improve handling, handling, comfort and general feel all come from the shock , I wouldn't expect a great deal of comfort from the set up you talk about Unless you pop a set of our " sport short shocks " with it , then it will be great !

In reality springs dont improve handling, handling, comfort and general feel all come from the shock , I wouldn't expect a great deal of comfort from the set up you talk about Unless you pop a set of our " sport short shocks " with it , then it will be great !
Sounds like it's back to the drawing board for me then. I want a nice ride, a bit firmer than the bouncy castle ride today on original shock / springs / wheel combo

Sounds like it's back to the drawing board for me then. I want a nice ride, a bit firmer than the bouncy castle ride today on original shock / springs / wheel combo
This can be a costly learning curve BUT a rule of thumb which has been proved consistently is, any upgrade that doesn't include a good shock wont give a good result . No drawing board needed just give us a call to explain

Back