Carbon-fibre mods

Genuine question, how does the concept of a carbon fibre bonnet sit with the whole notion of pedestrian safety testing?
I know that various authorities test vehicles as standard for pedestrian safety, but if we then fit a new bonnet made from a different material, does that have legal implications?
(TBF, I'd rather not get mowed down by any vehicle, but hopefully you get my point)
Crash testing requirements is very vehical specific, but a carbon fibre bonnet can be designed to absorb as much impact energy (if not more) that any other material - thus making then safer, but you’d have to disclose the modification to insurance company to stay legal.

My exact thoughts. Its like ordering 4 Big Mac's and a diet coke
I think it’s really about your approach & use of carbon fibre guys!!

If you just want the look, then hydrodip / apply fake vinyl & bingo - you have the look.

If you want genuine carbon fibre for other stiffness/weight saving reasons then skinning is counter productive.

Classic carbon switch outs may target 30% + weight saving for improved stiffnesses where P2W is important, very few campers want this….but some tuners might.

Reactions: CAB
I think it’s really about your approach & use of carbon fibre guys!!

If you just want the look, then hydrodip / apply fake vinyl & bingo - you have the look.

If you want genuine carbon fibre for other stiffness/weight saving reasons then skinning is counter productive.

Classic carbon switch outs may target 30% + weight saving for improved stiffnesses where P2W is important, very few campers want this….but some tuners might.
Oh yeah I know pal, I totally get its benefits but I just cant see the point in saving 'x' kg in something that is shaped like a brick and weighs as much as 2000/3000kg

Back