Carbon-fibre mods

Bynxy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Anyone had a go at carbon fibre skinning

would be interested in seeing the results or what you have had done as I am think of giving it a go for some of the bits on my van

Hi. I skinned my front splitter and am just finishing my rear spoiler. I made a few mistakes that I can easily rectify next time. They do look good and it is worth it. I will be selling my current ones and My next ones will be done with using a vacuum bagging process which I would recommend. I am also making forged carbon wheel center caps and in the long term will look to make a pure carbon fibre bonnet. Any questions please ask.

I have skinned a few bits of my van in real carbon fibre. I am now making some forged carbon fibre wheel center caps. They are looking good. I am looking to maybe make some items to sell but I do not know what would be in demand. With a bit of planning almost any thing can be made. I will be having a go at a pure carbon bonnet and a skinned bonnet and lower wing mirror covers with or without audi style dynamic indicators built in.

My question to the community is what carbon fibre parts would you like?

Is a skinned bonnet an attractive option? Much more cheaper than a pure carbon one.

Those VW wheel centres are absolute rubbish, after a winter the logos fade and erode.

I’d be up for a decent set of those

Those VW wheel centres are absolute rubbish, after a winter the logos fade and erode.

I’d be up for a decent set of those
Well I am currently making my own but they are not VW wheels. Can you state the part number so I can copy the size. Better still if anyone has one laying about they could sent to me that would be ace.

I would have to see them skinned before making that decision.
Right. I am going to skin a t6 bonnet and offer it up for sale. I will take a heap of photos. It will be skinned using a vacuum bag and heat so will be a good finish. Personally I want a full carbon bonnet.

Right. I am going to skin a t6 bonnet and offer it up for sale. I will take a heap of photos. It will be skinned using a vacuum bag and heat so will be a good finish. Personally I want a full carbon bonnet.
A full carbon bonnet sounds interesting. Getting the latch area strong enough will be important but you know all this.
If you do it it would be great if you could weigh it vs the normal steel bonnet and let us know.

I’m imagining changing the shape now so there is a mild stone deflector built in .

A full carbon bonnet sounds interesting. Getting the latch area strong enough will be important but you know all this.
If you do it it would be great if you could weigh it vs the normal steel bonnet and let us know.

I’m imagining changing the shape now so there is a mild stone deflector built in .
When the outer skin and inner skin is bonded together a Stainless Steel threaded plate is sandwiched in the bond. Same for the hinge bolt captive nuts. All Stainless

Most of these options are being developed by a new start up I have connections with. If you want something made from genuine carbon fibre then please reach out.

Skinned units give you the look, but wouldn’t you rather have the look & weight savings?

Most of these options are being developed by a new start up I have connections with. If you want something made from genuine carbon fibre then please reach out.

Skinned units give you the look, but wouldn’t you rather have the look & weight savings?
Genuine question, how does the concept of a carbon fibre bonnet sit with the whole notion of pedestrian safety testing?
I know that various authorities test vehicles as standard for pedestrian safety, but if we then fit a new bonnet made from a different material, does that have legal implications?
(TBF, I'd rather not get mowed down by any vehicle, but hopefully you get my point)

Back