Caravelle exec pop top conversion

nikster

T6 Pro
Hi all, looking to hear from any T6 owners that have a Velle exec pop top conversion.

The climate control system seems to be the challenge and understand a couple of owners have reported its been done in the past but haven't been able to find a lot of detail.

We've ummed and arrred about trading our 2017 Velle in but keep coming back to the fact that we love everything about it, it's a blackberry 204 with a lot of extras and only 21k on the clock - if it's possible and of a high enough in keeping standard think I'd seriously consider chopping the roof & turn it into a Velle Beach.

I'm estimating at least another 15k on top if we sold our Velle to get anywhere near a Cali Beach comparable van - interior aside of course.

In my head I'm expecting a good roof conversion and any nice to have cali add ons to be no more than 8k.

We want the pop top, leisure batt with extra power sockets and maybe a parking heater, black out blinds system & some of those Cali touches like the chairs in the tailgate

We'll go for a slidepod for cooking & already have an awning for everything else.

Cheers

Nick

I'm in the same boat as you, a 2017 Blackberry Velle Exec :) (albeit ours is a 150 DSG) and love the idea of fitting a pop top as we use it for camping trips with a large Olpro awning.

However I've seen figures quoted of £6-7k alone for the pop-top, due to the control panel and ducting relocation as you say. From a Caravelle group on Facebook, Kernow conversions in Cornwall seem to be mentioned more than anyone else and look to due a tidy job of it. Not sure what value it would add in the end if sold in a few years time.

Just not sure we would get enough use out of it to justify spending that much, so thats put me off for now.

Would love to hear from others who have taken the plunge though.

I'm in the same boat as you, a 2017 Blackberry Velle Exec :) (albeit ours is a 150 DSG) and love the idea of fitting a pop top as we use it for camping trips with a large Olpro awning.

However I've seen figures quoted of £6-7k alone for the pop-top, due to the control panel and ducting relocation as you say. From a Caravelle group on Facebook, Kernow conversions in Cornwall seem to be mentioned more than anyone else and look to due a tidy job of it. Not sure what value it would add in the end if sold in a few years time.

Just not sure we would get enough use out of it to justify spending that much, so thats put me off for now.

Would love to hear from others who have taken the plunge though.
Ha I'm a Nick W as well - would you Adam n Eve it?! Yep sounds like the same quandary same questions - still 10k or so cheaper than trading in for a like for like but still a compromised Cali tho. I'm not sure on re sale - done well it could be quite a unique offering with some sort of VW approved warranty if any of the fitters offer such a thing. A Velle Beach!! (have spotted the lower door already on Ebay!) Saw the Kernow FB site - looks good but would prefer something bit more local to me in Dorset if I'm going to go for it. But would really like to hear from other what they did/what they wish they did etc..They seem few and far between tho. Maybe we could get a deal on 2 at the same time - they'd only have to mix up one lot of paint :)

Have you considered a roof top tent as an alternative? That's where my thinking is at the minute, just deciding which one I want, softshell/hardshell/3 berth or larger etc. I personally wouldn't want to be cutting a whole in the roof of my velle. Be cool to see it done though as I love all the creature comforts you get in a Caravelle.

Have you considered a roof top tent as an alternative? That's where my thinking is at the minute, just deciding which one I want, softshell/hardshell/3 berth or larger etc. I personally wouldn't want to be cutting a whole in the roof of my velle. Be cool to see it done though as I love all the creature comforts you get in a Caravelle.
Yeah get the idea - unfortunately our roof is normally adorned with Paddle boards etc We've got a good inflatable awning that fits on the Reimo rail but as well as camping having the pop top would be great addition for day van malarky, when the kids get tired or we need bit more room changing in and out of wetsuits.

Yeah get the idea - unfortunately our roof is normally adorned with Paddle boards etc We've got a good inflatable awning that fits on the Reimo rail but as well as camping having the pop top would be great addition for day van malarky, when the kids get tired or we need bit more room changing in and out of wetsuits.

Yea fair enough. I have been looking at RTT's which have a cargo carrying capacity too tto get around exactly that problem, they are currently my favourite option. Bikes on the back and Canoe up top.

I did see some cool options for roof tents at Camperjam last year, but really its the extra headroom internally I'm dreaming of. With 3 young kids on the rear bench, it gets a bit cosy at stops on day/road trips, and a pop top would help & obviously get used on camping trips.

I did see some cool options for roof tents at Camperjam last year, but really its the extra headroom internally I'm dreaming of. With 3 young kids on the rear bench, it gets a bit cosy at stops on day/road trips, and a pop top would help & obviously get used on camping trips.
They are cool pre kids and when I had a Disco I was keen for one - but then crossed over to the Velle when the little lads came along - don't think my missus would be too keen on the whole ladder thing with the youngest - he can fall out of the bottom bunk at home without blinking and end up with a plaster!

Ha I'm a Nick W as well - would you Adam n Eve it?! Yep sounds like the same quandary same questions - still 10k or so cheaper than trading in for a like for like but still a compromised Cali tho. I'm not sure on re sale - done well it could be quite a unique offering with some sort of VW approved warranty if any of the fitters offer such a thing. A Velle Beach!! (have spotted the lower door already on Ebay!) Saw the Kernow FB site - looks good but would prefer something bit more local to me in Dorset if I'm going to go for it. But would really like to hear from other what they did/what they wish they did etc..They seem few and far between tho. Maybe we could get a deal on 2 at the same time - they'd only have to mix up one lot of paint :)
What are the odds :laugh:
It was same for me, based in the midlands so could see nothing local. I really dont think that many have done it, as guess its an expensive job and a Velle is an expensive base vehicle for those planning conversions.
My heart say yes please, but my head says no chance, and my credit card is cowering up the corner at the thought of it!

What are the odds :laugh:
It was same for me, based in the midlands so could see nothing local. I really dont think that many have done it, as guess its an expensive job and a Velle is an expensive base vehicle for those planning conversions.
My heart say yes please, but my head says no chance, and my credit card is cowering up the corner at the thought of it!
I know - pretty slim I reckon - we could form our own Team Nickberry! I did for a brief moment (then corrected myself) - think about a caravan...even as I type it still seems like a good return but without the ad hoc usage the van would give us - surfing paddle boarding biking all a fairly reg activity for us and having that extra room but also taking up a fairly achievable go anywhere footprint is very important - In unreality I bet we'd use a caravan only a couple of times a year - so my head dumped that smartish so back to conversion & round & round...The thought of trading away that lovely Velle interior for one not so much and spending more money on a Cali with compromise trade offs doesn't make sense in my head either!

This tho..... :) - Hymer Vision Venture Inside The Million Dollar Camper

@nikster
Sounds like you've convinced yourself there, and I think you'd probably get more use out of it than we would with that outdoors line up! I think the more of an outdoors family you are, the more practical a poptop becomes. We love day trips with the kids, and I love my mtb & the boy is following, so would come in handy for getting changed. My youngest 2 are 15 month old twins, so a poptop will become more practical as they grow & get into stuff too, think thats why the idea keeps floating round my mind & I cant quite let go on it yet.

I'm the same thought process for Caravans, I like statics (& have the use of 2 with family/friends) but would never invest in something to tow around. Love the flexibility of camping with a van.

If no one else comes along with any input, I'll let you be the guinea pig & I'll follow your updates closely ;)

That Hymer o_O

I looked at having a pop put in my velle exec. and couldn’t justify the cost and the potential loss on the resale so bought a California Ocean, had that for 6 months and found in quite small ( 2 adults & 6 yr old) and now have a Caravelle SE(LWB) and a caravan. We can use the velle for the odd night such as camperjam and Busfest and the caravan anything longer than 2 nights.

Summer Meet 17th July 2020
FCBB5989-94DB-4F5D-B4FD-D6CA2A672125.jpeg

1A0B1B8F-4624-43DE-8298-23EC2C180D08.jpeg

Great pics @Eli!
I always thought a Cali Ocean was my dream motor, but when the twins came along (taking us to 3 kids), that nailed that dream! (not that I could afford it!)
I love the Velle, but I think my dream now would be a custom LWB conversion. I think you always want what you havent got :)

Great pics @Eli!
I always thought a Cali Ocean was my dream motor, but when the twins came along (taking us to 3 kids), that nailed that dream! (not that I could afford it!)
I love the Velle, but I think my dream now would be a custom LWB conversion. I think you always want what you havent got :)
I only ever found a few “have a go heroes” who would of loved to of tried to put a pop top in a velle

I only ever found a few “have a go heroes” who would of loved to of tried to put a pop top in a velle
Nice setup Eli - yeah the have a go heroes and lack of anything really concrete online is my concern!

Check out Exploria. They did my generation six caravelle with a reimo roof and it looks like factory fit!! Amazing job.

This is the interior on the roofView attachment 119916
That looks awesome! I have a Caravelle which is 1960 ish mm in height, do you happen to know the height of your van since the roof conversion? Has it exceeded 2M ? Thanks.

Back