Caravelle curtain airbag removal

GingerPig

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all,
I've just recently purchased a 2016 T6 caravelle 150bhp bluemotion and new to the forum. I am currently in the process of converting it to a camper. Complete rear rip out including curtain airbags, rear HVAC system etc... basically its a van now B post reward

My question is following removing the curtain airbags I now have a warning light. Is it possible to delete/turn them off on VCDS/vag com?
And are the twin yellow plugs under both front seats associated with the curtian airbags?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Is it possible to delete/turn them off on VCDS/vag com?
Possibly, however it's not documented anywhere so there is a risk involved as experimental DIY job.
Any chance to share a full VCDS scan for comparison?
And are the twin yellow plugs under both front seats associated with the curtian airbags?
Twin? A picture?
Partially yes - yellow plugs under front seats are associated with airbags - but just seat airbags - just one plug/seat???
The rescue sheet doesn't show any curtain airbags on front seats.

Hi mmi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have the capabilities to do a VCDS scan.
The picture below shows the yellow plugs, these are also present under the passenger seat.
It also has the small yellow plug which attaches to the seat airbag.
20210114_142832.jpg

You should be able to solve the curtain airbags by using a simple resistor.

I know that in some crash test were they do not want the curtain airbags to deploy they simply unplug the curtain airbags and stick a resistor in the connector and tape it all up. This is a quick fix, but it works. You might want to do a more permanent install by soldering the resistor directly to the wires...
I´m not really sure what resistor to use for a VW curtain airbag, but this would trick the SRS ecu to think that there still is an curtain airbag connected.

But playing around with the srs systems could shoot all kinds of fault codes so be sure that you have the equipment to clear those, and always disconnect the battery first.

(Crash test were you do not want the airbag to deploy could be for example when you want to focus on the dummy movement and shoot a high speed video side view.)

BTW. I do not recommend you try this cause I dont know the VW srs/airbag/safety systems in detail, just a disclaimer) :)

Doesn’t removal of airbags affect the insurance? I would think the Insurer is quoting a price assuming that all safety features are operational using NCAP test rating.

Doesn’t removal of airbags affect the insurance? I would think the Insurer is quoting a price assuming that all safety features are operational using NCAP test rating.

But if you have a put in a kitchen with shelfs and stuff, its probably wise to not have "live" airbags behind them. That could be really bad if they would activate in a collision.

You should be able to solve the curtain airbags by using a simple resistor.

I know that in some crash test were they do not want the curtain airbags to deploy they simply unplug the curtain airbags and stick a resistor in the connector and tape it all up. This is a quick fix, but it works. You might want to do a more permanent install by soldering the resistor directly to the wires...
I´m not really sure what resistor to use for a VW curtain airbag, but this would trick the SRS ecu to think that there still is an curtain airbag connected.

But playing around with the srs systems could shoot all kinds of fault codes so be sure that you have the equipment to clear those, and always disconnect the battery first.

(Crash test were you do not want the airbag to deploy could be for example when you want to focus on the dummy movement and shoot a high speed video side view.)

BTW. I do not recommend you try this cause I dont know the VW srs/airbag/safety systems in detail, just a disclaimer) :)
I've actually bought some resistors since posting the original message. Am planning on doing as you say, soldering directly to the plug under the seat though. Don't want to risk doing it at the cantrail as the pop top bed support will be covering the loom.

But if you have a put in a kitchen with shelfs and stuff, its probably wise to not have "live" airbags behind them. That could be really bad if they would activate in a collision.
Might look like my kitchen then

I've actually bought some resistors since posting the original message. Am planning on doing as you say, soldering directly to the plug under the seat though. Don't want to risk doing it at the cantrail as the pop top bed support will be covering the loom.
What size resistors did you uses for the front seat airbags?

I didn't need to use resistors for the front seats only the rear curtain airbags. 2.2 ohm

Back