Cancelled my 2 weeks in Tenerife

also @The Flying Scotsman if you keep reading the hate filled press you'll end up hating people...
why would you not go and see for yourself before believing the words of a right wing journalist that works for a media outlet that was found guilty of hacking into a dead girls phone to 'get a story'
So they just made up thousands of locals protesting in the steers then?
Regardless of who reported it it still happened.
Nothing to do with hacking phones

That's a local governance issue though, not a tourism issue.

To be fair, I think this started out as a protest against the government, but the government saw a cash-generating opportunity and decided a tourist tax would solve their abject lack of local building control and planning consent - add to the mix a few local hot-heads with a grievance, et voila! - the focus turns to the tourist.
More “y ahí tienes” than “et voila”, eh?!!

Pot… kettle.

Let’s face it, anyone that cares to can type ‘Brexit’ into the search box above and see how many times I’ve personally mentioned it before today (todays chat will skew the number of course ) - so we can establish the facts there.

They can also see I’m here responding to your goading, no matter how daft that is - and so not running away as you claim.

So people can form their own decision and I embrace that. I love facts.
I would also happily stop having these chats with you to preserve sanity all round but you would only use that against me, as we have seen already.

Remember, you can choose to ignore my posts, at least I won’t accuse you of running away if you do. As I say, I like facts.
Brexit

I wouldn’t necessarily call them 'our' lot. But that lot could never manage anything.
Irish are going to send people back who have come over the border now so people are risking their lives on small boats getting to Dover getting a ferry over the Belfast then crossing back over the border again to the eu and now they are going to send them back. You literally couldnt make this stuff up!

Anyway, isn’t the forum supposed to be a politics free zone?

The Great British idiot has been ruining travel for the Great British traveller for decades, it would seem that most of the latest gripes would mirror those of the 80s and 90s I.e. drunken louts, too noisy etc etc. Tenerife (other islands are available) has the same extremes, some areas are too loud, with drunks everywhere, others areas are among some of the most beautifully serene places on earth.
I guess what I'm saying is its horses for courses.
As an aside, the media has a penchant for "whooping it up" due to the fact that 'they hate us' is a more interesting story than ' someone in Tenerife wrote something on a wall about us once'
Unfortunately, as a result the "British Idiots" spoil it for everyone else. Their ideal holiday seems to consist of drinking as much alcohol as possible, from as early in the holiday as possible (airport departures), being as loud as possible, disregarding local rules and customs, expecting everyone to understand their version of "English", only eating "English" food in themed pubs and complaining about things.
As previously mentioned we've been going to the same apartment in Fuerte for yonks. It's a private apartment owned by a chap who rents it out to friends & family. We've got to know the ins & outs of Canaries life over the years. The government is utterly corrupt, it's literally a banana republic. One government oversees the whole of the Canaries with local councils on each Island & they run it as a personal fiefdom. There's no wonder the locals are pissed off, they never get to see any of the profits of the tourism. Half of them are living in poverty whilst rich tourists whoop it up in 5 star all inclusive resorts & hardly spend a penny outside.
For the record, the apartment we rent is self catering & we buy local food & eat & drink at local bars & restaurants.
I think a lot of local government in Spain is, or was, quite corrupt.
One plus point of them remaining in their all-inclusive enclaves, sorry resorts, is that they don't upset the locals.
Self catering and touring away from the populist holiday hot-spots is good for local economies, supporting local, often family run, businesses, local bars, cafes and restaurants etc.

Like a lot of ”problems” local politicians blame people from somewhere else for it.
Most politicians don’t really have the ability / power / time to solve problems so the next best option is to make sure someone else is the focus of the voters anger.
If they were honest no one would vote for them as the “opposition” will of course make grandiose promises.
It’s a tale as old as time.
I remember a few years back witnessing an English guy getting v annoyed with a Spanish waiter, in Spain, as the waiter didn’t know what “lager” was. As soon as the English guy said “beer” the problem was solved :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, as a result the "British Idiots" spoil it for everyone else. Their ideal holiday seems to consist of drinking as much alcohol as possible, from as early in the holiday as possible (airport departures), being as loud as possible, disregarding local rules and customs, expecting everyone to understand their version of "English", only eating "English" food in themed pubs and complaining about things.

I think a lot of local government in Spain is, or was, quite corrupt.
One plus point of them remaining in their all-inclusive enclaves, sorry resorts, is that they don't upset the locals.
Self catering and touring away from the populist holiday hot-spots is good for local economies, supporting local, often family run, businesses, local bars, cafes and restaurants etc.
We never go all inclusive or a package holiday.
We always rent the apartment buy the flights then eat out twice a day when we’re there and spend money in the shops and bars.
Bottom line it costs me £5k for my family holiday.
There’s no way I’m going to be spending that money somewhere where a huge portion of the locals don’t see me as welcome.
I’m not expecting to be served hand and foot but I definitely want a friendly atmosphere on my holidays.
I totally get why the locals aren’t happy but this situation of there being fewer and fewer properties for the locals to rent because it’s more profitable to rent them to tourists is not the tourists fault.
They should be protesting about the shameful way their government has let this situation happen and Lobby for changes so that the huge income generated by tourism actually goes back into their economy and not abroad.
Again SFA to do with the tourists.

I remember a few years back witnessing an English guy getting v annoyed with a Spanish waiter, in Spain, as the waiter didn’t know what “lager” was. As soon as the English guy said “beer” the problem was solved :rolleyes:
This, sadly, is the mentality of many people; chap goes to Spain and gets very annoyed at a Spanish chap who works in Spain, because the chap didn't understand English.
What a specimen. :confused:

I'm 62 now but in my early 20s I was a british idiot doing all of the above I moan about them now, but had a great time then and I bet there,s people on here that did the same we're not all boring old farts.

Back