Cancelled my 2 weeks in Tenerife

I think it’s aimed more to the low income yob who sees a cheap week of drinking in Benidorm etc…, piss pots basically , a week in Spain instead of the local boozer. The charges hope to make it to expensive for these people and they go elsewhere. Don’t think it will work though ! Most of the yobs have well paid jobs

I think it’s aimed more to the low income yob who sees a cheap week of drinking in Benidorm etc…, piss pots basically , a week in Spain instead of the local boozer. The charges hope to make it to expensive for these people and they go elsewhere. Don’t think it will work though ! Most of the yobs have well paid jobs
Exactly, €3/day is a small beer. It won’t solve the problem in anyway shape or form. Just revenue raising. I’m willing to bet a pound to a pinch of Chinese sh1te that the revenue won’t find its way into the local population.

The Great British idiot has been ruining travel for the Great British traveller for decades, it would seem that most of the latest gripes would mirror those of the 80s and 90s I.e. drunken louts, too noisy etc etc. Tenerife (other islands are available) has the same extremes, some areas are too loud, with drunks everywhere, others areas are among some of the most beautifully serene places on earth.
I guess what I'm saying is its horses for courses.
As an aside, the media has a penchant for "whooping it up" due to the fact that 'they hate us' is a more interesting story than ' someone in Tenerife wrote something on a wall about us once'
All the ‘news’ referenced so far was the Sun, so not one to prioritise accuracy over drama.

And if we all stop and think… this is how travel outside of the EU has always been.
We have had holidays in Asia, India and the USA and they all do this. It’s not normally a serious issue though and generally if you have a credit card, the details of the first place you are staying and a return ticket they really don’t care.

Sure, Spain sadly gets a larger proportion of undesirable louts visiting and they may use the new rules to screen those but even then, if these folk have the stuff I mentioned I imagine Spain won’t bar them, just hold them up for ten minutes asking questions… but again, that’s what travel outside of the EU always was/is and we are outside of the EU.

The recent delays at borders and the extra costs of holidays and even goods and services is because we are now a third country in the eyes of EU nations.
People need to remember ‘we’ (well 17m ish people) voted for this. They can’t pretend they didn’t envision this happening?

Why the newspapers that helped spread the lies around Brexit or at least didn’t report the downsides are, all of a sudden, telling people about these negative effects is pretty obvious- it sells.

And as for ‘I’m not going so that will teach them’ I doubt they give two hoots. Lots of people will still go. It’s not putting me off… it’s just costing me more (might be worth it if there is less undesirable types) and creating nuisance around taking the dog. It’s not even like those boycotting foreign travel will win - UK tourism will just hike prices too.

The sooner we can get over all these own goals, and move on, the better.

I just decided against a trip to Fuerteventura for this very reason, heard the locals are not being particularly friendly even in the hotels and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. :(
Since when? They were friendly last August. Have they all suddenly changed?

Some may not love the fact many tourists stay on site in one hotel and therefore the locals don’t see any income boost but if you travel about and cater for yourself you get a warm welcome.

Same in India and Sri Lanka. We even took biros - the kids go wild for them. And buy the odd handmade goody direct - you can haggle too but don’t get carried away over literally pence as it means so much to these people.

I can’t do all inclusive sit by the pool type holidays as I get bored and I can sit on my arse all day surrounded by English folk at work. I like to actually see foreign places and people, experience life.

I've read the same stories in other newspapers, I bet there are plenty of Spanish business owners who rely on tourism who won't be happy if British tourists stay away.
As usual it's the uncivilised minority of tourists who don't know how to behave wherever they are who spoil things for everybody.
Yep, you can always guarantee a pissed up Brit will lower the tone.
I was in Alora in December having a pizza and beer, hundreds of Spanish going about their Friday night and 3 middle aged Brit’s shouting across the square ‘Christmas is Sh!t in Spain’. Apparently too much Christianity and not enough shopping hours according to what I heard later.

Some turds just can't let it go
Oh, and don't go to places that poor people go, like Benidorm (spitting). You can't talk down to people, and push your opinions unless you are high brow enough to travel to places like India, Sri Lanka (former home of Arthur C Clarke and 90s child sex tourism capital)
All I can say is big wobbly tits.
And yes I have been drinking!

Oh, and don't go to places that poor people go, like Benidorm (spitting). You can't talk down to people, and push your opinions unless you are high brow enough to travel to places like India, Sri Lanka (former home of Arthur C Clarke and 90s child sex tourism capital)
All I can say is big wobbly tits.
And yes I have been drinking!
lol. Enjoy your drink. Probably cost you more than it used to so make sure you get your moneys worth ;)

I don’t mind where I go or who else is there, as long as I experience the place rather than sit in one hotel eating normal food and drinking normal drinks all week. I like seeing and supporting the local people and produce. If others want to do that it’s up to them and doesn’t bother me unless they get daft.

As for Brexit… how many times have I mentioned it?
I’m sure there’s someone on here that likes to cut and paste snippets of peoples discussions (goading them I think they call it) on this open forum - they can probably do a search for us and let us know? Also, just curious, the folk that insist Brexit can no longer be mentioned - are they the ones that voted for it and realise they were had? It’s OK to admit mistakes and it’s OK to talk about the past.

Last edited:
I’m sure there’s someone on here that likes to cut and paste snippets of peoples discussions (goading them I think they call it) on this open forum - they can probably do a search for us and let us know?
Wouldn't waste my time. You don't debate with integrity - you misrepresent the position of others and then run away when challenged. Very odd behaviour for someone who obviously holds themselves in such high regard.

Wouldn't waste my time. You don't debate with integrity - you misrepresent the position of others and then run away when challenged. Very odd behaviour for someone who obviously holds themselves in such high regard.
You’re being inconsistent. You said this in the ULEZ chat, after doing a blow by blow breakdown of my comment…
Rational debate - of which you are demonstrably capable - consists of reasoned arguments. My point was to goad you into justifying your obvious disagreement with my assertion that ULEZ charges are regressive.

Pretty sure you searched for the word ‘Brexit’ already and found I don’t keep mentioning it.
Is ‘debating with integrity’ the same as goading?

I’m not running away, I’m happy to chat.

You’re being inconsistent. You said this in the ULEZ chat, after doing a blow by blow breakdown of my comment…

Pretty sure you searched for the word ‘Brexit’ already and found I don’t keep mentioning it.
Is ‘debating with integrity’ the same as goading?

I’m not running away, I’m happy to chat.
Not inconsistent - you ARE capable, but you don't always choose to. Re being "pretty sure" , it appears that your certainty is not an infallible predictor of the truth (who'd have thought?)

Says the bloke who keeps banging on about Brexit
it appears that your certainty is not an infallible predictor of the truth (who'd have thought?)
Pot… kettle.

Let’s face it, anyone that cares to can type ‘Brexit’ into the search box above and see how many times I’ve personally mentioned it before today (todays chat will skew the number of course ) - so we can establish the facts there.

They can also see I’m here responding to your goading, no matter how daft that is - and so not running away as you claim.

So people can form their own decision and I embrace that. I love facts.
I would also happily stop having these chats with you to preserve sanity all round but you would only use that against me, as we have seen already.

Remember, you can choose to ignore my posts, at least I won’t accuse you of running away if you do. As I say, I like facts.

Last edited:
Back