Buenas Tardes from Glasgow

Evening all. Just thought I’d pop in and say “hi” even though I haven’t yet joined the tribe.

I’ve retired early this year, and me and Mrs BT have been hankering after a campervan since the start of the pandemic. We were smitten by wild swimming in lockdown, and want to spend more time exploring the thousands of lochs and beaches Scotland has to offer. A T6 van seems the ideal companion for local and European adventures - our son lives in Catalunya so want to be able to meander down through France and Spain when the mood takes us.

Just the two of us mostly, but a couple of small sticky granddaughters to consider, so something with the ability to seat 5 occasionally but be comfortable for long haul journeys 2-up.

It’ll be my daily driver - moving from an X3M so used to a sizeable footprint but will have to get used to a bit less urge under the right foot ;)

Just starting the process of looking for the right van, so will be lurking for a while and absorbing the knowledge of all you good folks in here.

Last edited:
Welcome and I salut your choice of avatar. Brings back many a happy memory.... :D

Mine is a daily driver too, so make sure you set a side a little extra in case the van you choose doesn't come with upgraded suspension. Having ST-X fitted has totally transformed the drive.

Thanks Mule. Spent a lot of happy hours with the kids going cross-eyed painting Templars, Space Marines and Tau

Lots of good advice on here so intending to spend a while absorbing and learning.

Not sure yet whether I’ll go for a turnkey solution on a new T6 from a reputable converter, or buy a “raw” van and go full custom. Much to consider, not least budget.

One of the interesting conundrums will be utility vs performance. I’m used to a lot of grunt, but like life in retirement I think I may just have to learn to slow down.

Or buy something ‘quick’ for the weekend ;)

Hi there, from Fife! Depending on your budget, Jerba in North Berwick build lovely vans. You can order the van through them as they are accredited with VW, which means you get what you want in the build and the stuff a 'blank' van comes with is not included (including the cost.
Or they can convert your van for you. Their layouts are bright and open unlike some of the self build 'dark caves' which I personally don't like.
Good luck!

Thanks Dave. I’m based in Glasgow so Jerba is very definitely on the radar. I quite like their “rear kitchen” conversions, so will be having a chat with them when the time comes to pull the trigger. They also do a ‘try before you buy’ scheme where the rental charge is deducted from the build price if you order within 12 months.

Also looking at Your Camper in Glasgow, and there are a few others we’ll sound out.

We have tickets for the camping & caravan show at the SECC in February so a good opportunity to see offerings from a range of companies.

Welcome along! Lots of reading and research for you to do to figure out exactly what you want from the van but we are a very helpful bunch on here so any questions just use the search function or ask away if you cant find your answer. This forum is lucky to have some very knowledgeable members on it from electrics through to performance

Thanks for that Chris - I’ll do my best to read first before asking daft noob questions. I’m sure there’s a wealth of information already on here, and good to know there are lots of kindred spirits that have already been through many of the things I’ll doubtless encounter.

Back