Can you fix rear seatbelt with rear heater?

markdavies87

I am looking to purchase a T6.1. I haven’t yet been to see it in person yet (hopefully next week I’ll get around to it), but would need to fit a 2+1 seat arrangement in the rear, a non-original Kombi so to speak. It’s a SWB, and has had a factory fitted heater installed in the rear. The floor is ply-lined (resin finish).

1. Will the heater cause an issue with installing the seatbelt on the driver side?

2. How difficult is it going to be to have the Kombi seats fitted - will the floor finish be
Damaged? Is it possible to install without making a mess of the floor? Two photos attached of the floor and carpeted rear which shows the heater from the rear. Also another photo that shows where the seatbelt is typically in a Kombi.

The floor isn’t the end of the world (if it’s likely to be damaged/butchered, or require replacing then so be it), but without being able to fit the rear seats it would be a no go, so can’t get this wrong!

Thanks in advance.

0D233FB1-4842-40AB-8F6A-B9534D865918.png

61CF1699-2912-47A1-A7FC-89EF735F57DD.png

1DAAE680-C250-48E3-A74C-01D1085B0084.png

I have a SWB T6.0 and it has three rows of seats and a heater, so yes doable.

You might find that some of the threaded bosses, particularly for the upper belt anchor points are not present. These are a VW part that can be purchased but are fiddly to fit (headlining out and use a bit of string - ‘how to’ will be elsewhere on the forum.

Re the floor - my approach would be lots of careful measuring and router the holes in the floor for the brackets. The clip on trims for the floor brackets are quite forgiving. If the floor is stuck down then it’ll be a big task to remove and start again. Only concern is floor height - people fitting a floor like yours with OEM seat brackets will get the finished floor height to align with the bracket trims.

All IMHO.

I have a SWB T6.0 and it has three rows of seats and a heater, so yes doable.

You might find that some of the threaded bosses, particularly for the upper belt anchor points are not present. These are a VW part that can be purchased but are fiddly to fit (headlining out and use a bit of string - ‘how to’ will be elsewhere on the forum.

Re the floor - my approach would be lots of careful measuring and router the holes in the floor for the brackets. The clip on trims for the floor brackets are quite forgiving. If the floor is stuck down then it’ll be a big task to remove and start again. Only concern is floor height - people fitting a floor like yours with OEM seat brackets will get the finished floor height to align with the bracket trims.

All IMHO.
I have been to see the van, and taken a photo side on of the heater/seatbelt scenario. A mate who does conversions seems to think that the seatbelt for a double seat bench will not be able to be installed, so has suggested that I would need 1+1+1 seats as the seatbelts are built individually.

Flooring is most likely going to have to be removed as it appears to have been glued down as it is a factory-fitted extra. Not ideal.

76E4FECC-A352-4C09-B379-5798F53C01D4.jpeg

194F7697-3F0E-4464-B8A4-53C7D2343B00.jpeg

BCBAF5A5-C7CE-4088-92E6-A41B1F8792C2.jpeg

All standard Kombi/Shuttle seats use pillar mounted belts, it's only the middle position which has the belt integrated into the seat. Looks like the floor already has the outline of the seat brackets in it?

All standard Kombi/Shuttle seats use pillar mounted belts, it's only the middle position which has the belt integrated into the seat. Looks like the floor already has the outline of the seat brackets in it?
That’s what I thought l, but only appears to have 2 by each siding door, and nothing in the middle etc. there’s few also at the rear (possibly for rock n roll bed I thought?), and two behind drivers seat (for a table?)

Here is mine for reference…I think its all doable but made much harder by having to locate positions for fixings through carpet lining and flooing!

EFFCDA0C-A366-462F-B7C6-48CA50704E00.jpeg

That’s oe
Here is mine for reference…I think its all doable but made much harder by having to locate positions for fixings through carpet lining and flooing!

View attachment 170269
That’s perfect, exactly what I need - I can show the guy that it is actually possible!! At least means I have the option of 2+1 now and not having the unknown risk of the cost of the 1+1+1.

Still not sure on the floor though, still a bit baffled by the cut outs

Back