Can number-plate light affect headlight?

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all,

Discovered today that the one of the rear licence plate unit is not working 100 % as it showed up a warning light on the dash.

The bulb which is in an aftermarket unit is the led type and as it seems to be on its way out, would this affect the auto light function?

As it seemed today that the dipped headlights were on constantly and did not seem to be on daytime running light mode. We have Led / bi-xenon headlights and I know during daylight that the Led strips in the lower of the unit just light up.

Could the fault of the rear licence plate be causing the Canbus system to compensate or is it just a coicidence and in fact the auto function was working but it just didn't agree with the daylight conditions?

Anybody had any similar problems?

I've attached some photos to show the difference when I switched from auto to sides.

TIA

IMG_20210304_172732.jpg

IMG_20210304_172738.jpg

Could the fault of the rear licence plate be causing the Canbus system to compensate or is it just a coicidence and in fact the auto function was working but it just didn't agree with the daylight conditions?
I'd say just a coincidence. The threshold to turn on DRLs is quite high - so a dull day might keep headlights on. You could play with threshold by turning light switch to "0" and keep eye on speedo/rev illumination - they will turn quite dim when autolight thinks it's dark enough to have headlights on.

I'd say just a coincidence. The threshold to turn on DRLs is quite high - so a dull day might keep headlights on. You could play with threshold by turning light switch to "0" and keep eye on speedo/rev illumination - they will turn quite dim when autolight thinks it's dark enough to have headlights on.
All sorted, like you said, pure coincidence and it was just the lighting conditions. Number plate light all.soryed too. Thanks @mmi

Back