Can I change my worn 102W tyres to 97W tyres ?????

I personally wouldn’t skimp on tyres....

I agree.

Have a check around. I’ve just ordered 2 fronts, through black circles, and got them fitted at my local ATS. After booking and paying, I had an email from kwik fit, with a £10 off, offer if you order 2, £40 off with 4. Which would’ve been cheaper:(

I will definitely use Black circles, however, I’m torn between these-

Uniroyal. £156
Goodyear £177
Pirelli £152

Which ones are best for a T28, I want them to last.

Can't comment on which will be the longest lasting but I would have your suspension professionally aligned to ensure you get the best out of whichever tyres you do get.

Reactions: JOG
I will definitely use Black circles, however, I’m torn between these-

Uniroyal. £156
Goodyear £177
Pirelli £152

Which ones are best for a T28, I want them to last.
It depends which tyre in each manufactures range, you are considering. The Goodyear Eagle is softer, grippier, and won’t last as long. The Excellence, is harder, and will last longer, probably similar with the Pirelli range. I have a T28, 110ps Highline panel van. I can fit minimum 99 load rate (another spanner, in your search)

It depends which tyre in each manufactures range, you are considering. The Goodyear Eagle is softer, grippier, and won’t last as long. The Excellence, is harder, and will last longer, probably similar with the Pirelli range. I have a T28, 110ps Highline panel van. I can fit minimum 99 load rate (another spanner, in your search)
Are you sure about that? What are the numbers on the front of the bulkhead in the engine bay?

Reactions: JOG
Tyres are a fundamental part of Vehicle/Driver safety …You cant assume what you fit today is okay for every day …Commercial/vans have so much variability make sure what you fit match …:)

Thats strange, T28 ones I have seen are 1550 one axel and 1600 the other. :/

Some models have different load ratings dependant on engine/transmission fitted.

I wrote the following for a similar question on a facebook group. This was for a 2007 T5 but the principles are identical.
Hope this helps...

'T28 means your vehicles max load carrying capacity is 2800kg
Each axle, front and rear, has a maximum load carrying capacity as well and that information will be on a plate under the bonnet.

For example, for a 2007 T28, the axle weights are
1450kg front
1550kg rear

To work out the load rating, you need to half the axle weight to give you a rating for the individual wheels.
So the front axle wheels need to be minimum load of 725kg each and the rear axle wheels a minimum of 775 kg each.
However it’s pointless trying to find 2 pairs of wheels with different ratings, so go with the highest. Therefore your wheels need to be rated to at least 775kg each.

As for tyres, same principle applies, but in the tyres measurement (e.g. 235/50/R18 101), the last number (101) refers to its load rating.
For your van you need tyres with a load rating of at least 775kg so they have to be at a minimum 99 rated.'

Last edited:
I think my T6 was 1550/1600. The 6.1 is 1550/1550. I guess is down to all the nice bits they’ve removed;)

Some models have different load ratings dependant on engine/transmission fitted.

I wrote the following for a similar question on a facebook group. This was for a 2007 T5 but the principles are identical.
Hope this helps...

'T28 means your vehicles max load carrying capacity is 2800kg
Each axle, front and rear, has a maximum load carrying capacity as well and that information will be on a plate under the bonnet.

For example, for a 2007 T28, the axle weights are
1450kg front
1550kg rear

To work out the load rating, you need to half the axle weight to give you a rating for the individual wheels.
So the front axle wheels need to be minimum load of 725kg each and the rear axle wheels a minimum of 775 kg each.
However it’s pointless trying to find 2 pairs of wheels with different ratings, so go with the highest. Therefore your wheels need to be rated to at least 775kg each.

As for tyres, same principle applies, but in the tyres measurement (e.g. 235/50/R18 101), the last number (101) refers to its load rating.
For your van you need tyres with a load rating of at least 775kg so they have to be at a minimum 99 rated.'
No that doesn't help at all. I am well aware of how it is worked out, as you see in the previous posts I have put, but you obviously didn't read them.

It doesn't change the fact that I have not seen a T28 at 1550kg both axels before.

No that doesn't help at all. I am well aware of how it is worked out, as you see in the previous posts I have put, but you obviously didn't read them.

It doesn't change the fact that I have not seen a T28 at 1550kg both axels before.
LOL, are you ok hun?

I wasn't been snide or underhand... you having a bad day?

The text I quoted wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the OP as he asked for an explanation. But go off...

And as for not seeing a T28 with same load ratings at each axle, they exist, it's in the brochures...

Specifically the 2.0TDI 102PS 5-speed manual

LOL, are you ok hun?

I wasn't been snide or underhand... you having a bad day?

The text I quoted wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the OP as he asked for an explanation. But go off...

And as for not seeing a T28 with same load ratings at each axle, they exist, it's in the brochures...
I'm fine.

Not at all.

It wasn't aimed at me? You replied and quoted my post, not the OP's generally that means you're aiming your comment at me.

I never said they didn't exist, I have never seen one and so expressed surprise.

I'm fine.

Not at all.

It wasn't aimed at me? You replied and quoted my post, not the OP's generally that means you're aiming your comment at me.

I never said they didn't exist, I have never seen one and so expressed surprise.

It wasn't aimed at you. It was just a response to the thread in general.

We have a concept at work which is 'assume positive intent'. You could learn from that.

It wasn't aimed at you. It was just a response to the thread in general.

We have a concept at work which is 'assume positive intent'. You could learn from that.
It's general etiquette to not quote someone if it's a general reply to the thread and vice versa. A bit like caps is shouting.

I didn't assume anything and you know what they say ...

Back