Driveaway Awning Decisions - Narrowed Down To 2 Options ! Anyone Help

Having moved from a pure camping scenario in the very good, large and heavy Kampa Hayling Air 6, we got a T6 last October and I have been researching awnings to get us more space for this seasons adventures.

Similar requirements to you - only one child but a big dog and I want the space to offload kit from the van as I don’t think our storage setup is that well designed (2nd hand conversion).

I’ve settled on the OR Cayman Combo - which is ‘double ended’ with a main entrance on each end and with an optional porch door you can turn either of those ends into a more traditional sealed end and gain another enclosed space. Or use 2 porch doors to gain even more space. Very flexible set-up.

I have just received the 2021 model (on offer) and have test erected it. Good main space and closing off one of the ends gives us what we need.

It’s also light and manageable when bagged - main awning c17kg the when compared to the almost unmanageable Hayling Air tent which was bulky and c28kgs. As it’s flexible it means each of the components is a separate bagged item which I figured would allow me to spread it about the van when loading. Air beans for the main section and 2 poles for the eyebrow canopies at each porch end.

Takes a bedroom in the main section. If you get the 2022 version which is just about to land, the porches have been modified and can also take a 2 bedroom inner tent too. So a maximum of 6 berth. We decided that with a pop top camper we’re unlikely to need such extra capacity for sleeping and didn’t want to wait for the more expensive 2022 version.

Appreciate you’d narrowed it down to 2 awnings but thought I’d throw in a further Outdoor Revolution variant. Check out ATTWOOLS video reviews on YouTube if you’ve not discovered them yet - a good way to check out the differences between various tents and awnings.

Good luck!

Having moved from a pure camping scenario in the very good, large and heavy Kampa Hayling Air 6, we got a T6 last October and I have been researching awnings to get us more space for this seasons adventures.

Similar requirements to you - only one child but a big dog and I want the space to offload kit from the van as I don’t think our storage setup is that well designed (2nd hand conversion).

I’ve settled on the OR Cayman Combo - which is ‘double ended’ with a main entrance on each end and with an optional porch door you can turn either of those ends into a more traditional sealed end and gain another enclosed space. Or use 2 porch doors to gain even more space. Very flexible set-up.

I have just received the 2021 model (on offer) and have test erected it. Good main space and closing off one of the ends gives us what we need.

It’s also light and manageable when bagged - main awning c17kg the when compared to the almost unmanageable Hayling Air tent which was bulky and c28kgs. As it’s flexible it means each of the components is a separate bagged item which I figured would allow me to spread it about the van when loading. Air beans for the main section and 2 poles for the eyebrow canopies at each porch end.

Takes a bedroom in the main section. If you get the 2022 version which is just about to land, the porches have been modified and can also take a 2 bedroom inner tent too. So a maximum of 6 berth. We decided that with a pop top camper we’re unlikely to need such extra capacity for sleeping and didn’t want to wait for the more expensive 2022 version.

Appreciate you’d narrowed it down to 2 awnings but thought I’d throw in a further Outdoor Revolution variant. Check out ATTWOOLS video reviews on YouTube if you’ve not discovered them yet - a good way to check out the differences between various tents and awnings.

Good luck!
Cracking review and guidance

Great

Good luck!
review and you make a very good point about weight, the galli 3 is about 28.5kg, we opted for the TC version which is 7kg heavier again and weighing in at a chunky 35.6kg…..

Thanks Jim. It’s not been tested in anger as yet but I’m pretty confident about it. Just need an awning rail now!

With no garage, storing the awning in the house is a must. The Kampa Hayling 6 is manhandled upstairs and lives in a spare bedroom due to its bulk. Not a good look! So the OR Combo is going to be much easier to live with.

Just in the process of fitting a funky leisure awning rail around a WestDubs pop top that has one long fitted hinge support that uses 3 of the four roof rail holes so I’m very limited in attachment points. Will post my DIY cut out solution when I (try and) fit next weekend! Might be of use to others.

Sorry to be a bit late to this party but FWIW, we opted for a smaller awning to give us some extra leisure space (Vango Kela) but we also use a small pop up tent (here: 2 SECONDS camping tent | 2 person ) to store all the miscellaneous stuff in when parked up. We find that option preferable as it it allows us to clear the van without the driveaway awning being up - frankly they're just a bit too much effort for just one night (or even two). With a bit of practise, the popup tent is a matter of minutes to put up and take down. We also use a Kiravans Railsail when the driveway is not used and again, that's just a few minutes to set up. Mind you, the Vango Kela is still fairly heavy but that weighs only just over half of the large 'air tent' that we had before the van.

Thanks Jim. It’s not been tested in anger as yet but I’m pretty confident about it. Just need an awning rail now!

With no garage, storing the awning in the house is a must. The Kampa Hayling 6 is manhandled upstairs and lives in a spare bedroom due to its bulk. Not a good look! So the OR Combo is going to be much easier to live with.

Just in the process of fitting a funky leisure awning rail around a WestDubs pop top that has one long fitted hinge support that uses 3 of the four roof rail holes so I’m very limited in attachment points. Will post my DIY cut out solution when I (try and) fit next weekend! Might be of use to others.
Ours fortunately lives in the back of the van when not in use, so it only comes out if it’s going up…we bought the vango airbeam sky canopy as we don’t have wind out canopy for short stop overs and both live behind my rear seats… They’re not going in the garage either… pesky vermin…

After looking at the Gali and an OR side by side it seemed clear to me why people choose the Vango and did the same and it’s in the boot now. I cannot recommend A&E in Northwich enough, I dealt with Gary who was excellent, they have links to Gina Williams mentioned above and using her I got a good deal, she’s easy to find on Facebook!
2 votes for A&E. We went with the OR awning and hated it for multiple reasons, A&E sorted out a swap for the Vango which we are now very happy with

Back