Can’t say this is a good flywheel surely?

Sounds like my washing machine with a spanner in it, who’s saying it’s good?

Sounds like my washing machine with a spanner in it, who’s saying it’s good?
Well I flagged it 4 months ago to Vw as under extended warranty but it’s got worse. They told me to buy an engine under tray to dampen the sound

Well I flagged it 4 months ago to Vw as under extended warranty but it’s got worse. They told me to buy an engine under tray to dampen the sound
Did you get that in writing? If so send it to Customer Services and get their arse dragged through a bush.

100% defo DMF failing.

If your garage won't deal with it.

Take it to a different van center.

The warranty office may ask for proof which means removing the gearbox and measuring the slop in the DMF.

They may ask you to possibly sign the sheet to say that you will pay for the diagnostic.......but if it's approved they pay the full cost.

From the sound of that it will be approved.

The garage will get paid from VW so no reason to send you away unless they are too busy.

Did you get that in writing? If so send it to Customer Services and get their arse dragged through a bush.
I did! I said to them if you think that’s ok then put it in writing. It wasn’t as noisy back in April/may time. I’m expecting a massive fob off again if I’m honest. I called road side assist out and he noted it down as being noisy also.

This will be the second fly wheel in 2 years now. What a joke

I have the van booked in with Vw soon. Let’s see what excuses they give me, it’s the flywheel that’s causing my vibrations so can feel them with the change of the chattering/stone in barrel noise. Supposedly replaced 20k ago ‍

Have you got paperwork for that work 20k ago?

Did you call VW to get a work history report from them.

On my second one the warranty office needed evidence.... Which ment dsg box out to inspect the DMF.

Try a different van centre. My flywheel had a slight rattle which disappeared when the clutch was depressed and West Yorks Van Centre never mentioned any potential cost to me or any other financial jeopardy, I just dropped it off and they rang me and said they were putting a new dmf in under warranty and would need the van for an extra day.
That was a couple of years ago, so maybe the VW mothership has tightened the purse strings, but you can go to any VWVC. I bought mine from Liverpool but all my other dealings have been with Cleckheaton.

Have you got paperwork for that work 20k ago?

Did you call VW to get a work history report from them.

On my second one the warranty office needed evidence.... Which ment dsg box out to inspect the DMF.
They definitely have it all on file. But they are crafty and don’t give customers work history out. I will ask for it tho before hand. The flywheel is definitely on their system.

Last time I went ,albeit the flywheel was making a slight rattle not vibrating my seat. They said it’s fine and I have nothing to worry about. They even put that in writing!

I think they have to acknowledge the issue this time tho as it’s rattling all the time now and my feet are tingling from vibrations

Try a different van centre. My flywheel had a slight rattle which disappeared when the clutch was depressed and West Yorks Van Centre never mentioned any potential cost to me or any other financial jeopardy, I just dropped it off and they rang me and said they were putting a new dmf in under warranty and would need the van for an extra day.
That was a couple of years ago, so maybe the VW mothership has tightened the purse strings, but you can go to any VWVC. I bought mine from Liverpool but all my other dealings have been with Cleckheaton.
I think they are all the same now. It’s a well known issue and they are all trying to fob the customers off with extended warranties and most likely only helping the ones in original warranty.

Had the Flywheel replaced and picked the van up today at my own expense even tho it was in the last month of extended warranty. Vibrations gone, engine quieter/smoother and feels like a new van. Which asks the question, why did VW turn me away twice, stating to me it’s normal to hear a spanner clattering around underneath my van and vibrations through my seat and steering wheel. It was obvious that the flywheel was toast. Shocking!

Glad you got it sorted. Mine is starting to sound similar. How much did the flywheel replacement cost you?

Why was it rejected by warranty?

Glad you got it sorted. Mine is starting to sound similar. How much did the flywheel replacement cost you?

I bought the parts from darkside developments. The flywheel is made by Sachs and they said it’s the same one that VW use just in a Sachs box, but £400 instead of £700. Labour was expensive but had a couple of other things done. So I would say in total £1100 with flywheel.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn’t rejected, they just refused to ask acknowledge it twice telling me it was fine and they all do it. Do bing me off basically. I could t waste any more time and days off work fighting it with them. It was extended warranty. They were supposed to have replaced it 25k ago as they flagged it as an issue, I had no idea. But the first time I picked it up it felt no different and still sounded a bit noisy in cold start. I don’t believe they changed it first time around.
Why was it rejected by warranty?

I have the old fly wheel in my possession and even I can see it’s knackered. So I’m going to complain to customer service

MPG has gone up as well. A worn fly wheel really does cause all sorts of bad side effects

Mine went into VW van centre for something else and mine doesn't sound anywhere near that bad and they said it needed doing as a matter of urgency! 14 months and 10k miles later still sounds the same!

Back