Campsites in Cornwall/Devon with surf school nearby

Susan

T6 Pro
Hi all, can anyone recommend nice campsites in Cornwall/Devon which are within walking distance of a surf school? We have never been to the area before so would be very grateful for some advice. We would like to explore the area, staying in a couple of campsites along the way, whilst at the same time keeping 2 teens happy by providing access to a nearby surf school.
Thanks so much for any suggestions :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I found Wavehunters surf school, which looks very near Tristam Campsite. The campsite looks fantastic- really close to the beach - but pricey… I think the price must reflect the location whuch looks fantastic! Thanks again :)

Thanks for all the really helpful suggestions. And if anyone is looking for something like this in Ireland i.e - a good campsite within walking distance of a surf school - I recommend Strandhill Camping and Strandhill Surf School. Strandhill is located in county Sligo, along the Wild Atlantic Way. The campsite is run (very well) by Sligo Council so all profits are put back into the county. The campsite and the surf school are side by side, right on the beach - which is a surfing only, no swimming beach. You can select your own pitch so you can pick a pitch near the beach. And the lads in the surf school are brilliant. All ages take lessons there. There are stunning sunsets in Strandhill, and after watching the sunset - there is a bar with live music, a pizzeria, and a gorgeous tapas restaurant, and little takeaways too. My teens loved the ice cream parlour and juice bar, all right on the doorstep of the campsite. There is a little supermarket a short walk away and also a chemist. The vibe is very reminiscent of a tiny, more rural, Irish, Bondi beach (sounds mad but true)- very relaxed. And from the campsite you can walk to amazing dunes where there is a beach called Cooleenamore, where we swam (no life guard but calm water). There is another walk from the campsite, in the opposite direction from the dunes, where you walk along the beach past the ruins of an ancient chapel all the way to a tiny airport where the runway is separated from the grassy walkway by a loose rope barrier and you can watch small planes take off and land before walking back to the campsite through a woodland. And then on another day you can walk to the foothills of the awe inspiring Knocknarea Hill, and then go on a fantastic hike (somewhat gruelling) up to the top of Knocknarea to where the cairn of Queen Maeve of Connaught is situated. A fabulous place for seeiing birds - we saw a peregrine falcon, kestrel, and raven flying overhead all in the one day. Strandhill is probably one of the locations that so far ticks most boxes for us as a family with teens. There is even a golf course within walking distance, a tough links course I have been told. Strandhill is a popular site so won’t be quiet in peak season but it is popular for very good reasons. I hope my longwinded (apologies!) description is of help to someone :)

38D2043F-4949-458C-8EB6-781C8A2F70A6.jpeg

18567348-5F92-4DCD-AFE4-F61D067DBB39.jpeg

98780A2F-811F-4288-904D-ADE306D43743.jpeg

4B48E060-EF9C-4B5D-9E0E-7AAF8C9FCD99.jpeg

We stayed in Trevarrian and did the coastal walk down to Watergate Bay, You have to like walking though

We stayed at Sennen Cove Camping & Caravan Club Site a few years ago and there is definitely a surf school in the village nearby and also it's not too far to continue and walk through to Land's End from there.

We stayed at Sennen Cove Camping & Caravan Club Site a few years ago and there is definitely a surf school in the village nearby and also it's not too far to continue and walk through to Land's End from there.
Sounds like a great location - thanks :)

Another vote for Gwithian, heading down there Thursday for 5 days, it will be our longest time away in the van together.
Keep an eye out for the for sale section as it will probably be up for sale next week, the wife and the dogs that is, the van's staying with me ;)

Spent the bank holiday weekend at Ocean Pitch in Croyde. Fairly open pitches on a slight incline. The last two pitches near the entrance looked pretty good as it was well sheltered but would probably get a rude awakening from the bin men in the morning. Facilities were portacabins, toilet shower and washing up station. Not enough toilets though, 4 shared amongst 34 pitches and 3 showers. Cleaned fairly regular though. Would go again. Good views and coastal walks. They offer paddle board hire too

Spent the bank holiday weekend at Ocean Pitch in Croyde. Fairly open pitches on a slight incline. The last two pitches near the entrance looked pretty good as it was well sheltered but would probably get a rude awakening from the bin men in the morning. Facilities were portacabins, toilet shower and washing up station. Not enough toilets though, 4 shared amongst 34 pitches and 3 showers. Cleaned fairly regular though. Would go again. Good views and coastal walks. They offer paddle board hire too
Thanks a million for sharing your experience. It’s really helpful to get such an up-to-date review :)

Harlyn Bay is worth a look, the surf school has links to local accommodation (other schools may do the same).

We stayed at High Harlyn, 10 to 15 mins walk to the beach - very good food places right by the beach makes it even better :cool: Can't vouch for the camping facilities as we stayed in a static. Large site, looked OK though.

Back