Camping loo...

Ours tipped over yesterday! It had been cleaned and filled ready for use. I only put 1L of water in the bottom and 14 in the top flush reservoir . Luckily the flush filler was uppermost so negligible leaks. :eek:

Now researching base plates!!

Ian

Last edited:
Have a look at the range of storage boxes too.... some of them.look very sturdy.

How often do you need to flush out/clean a porta potti?

We have one for emergencies, but have not used it yet, can I leave the chemical water mix in for a couple of weeks if it's not used, or will the chemicals degrade or damage the potti?

You can buy small bottles of chemicals and carry them. That way you only need to add a couple of litres to the flush tank and a litre or so to the waste tank. You could always carry a bottle of fresh water with you.

in some Thetfords, there is a storage space for the small chemical bottles in the top of the waste tank.

Thank Spaghetti, I've got the chemicals. What I was wanting to know was how long can the toilet be left unused with the water/chemical mix in the tanks before any damage to the seals or plastic occurs.

Dunno. That’s why I don’t leave it filled! I carry water and chemicals in bottles, so as not to take the risk. :thumbsup:

Thank Spaghetti, I've got the chemicals. What I was wanting to know was how long can the toilet be left unused with the water/chemical mix in the tanks before any damage to the seals or plastic occurs.

We unintentionally once left our Thetford caravan toilet with water and chems in for 9 months, including over winter, while we were otherwise engaged. There has been no apparent issues with seals.

Fortunately there was no other 'contents' in there though!!

Ours tipped over yesterday! It had been cleaned and filled ready for use. I only put 1L of water in the bottom and 14 in the top flush reservoir . Luckily the flush filler was uppermost so negligible leaks. :eek:

Now researching base plates!!

Ian

sounds familair , happened to us a couple of monts ago, my favourite turn and a cali that has just been lowered..... :-O
luckily only the top leaked (flush water)

We unintentionally once left our Thetford caravan toilet with water and chems in for 9 months, including over winter, while we were otherwise engaged. There has been no apparent issues with seals.

Fortunately there was no other 'contents' in there though!!
Thanks GRM2004, I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to flush it after every trip

Thanks GRM2004, I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to flush it after every trip

the flush water in the top part can be left there without a problem. but the lower part has to be prepared with 1,5L water and 150ml of chemicals.
those chemicals only last 5 days.

so if you don't use it, you should always flush the bottom part, and refill when you leave for a next trip.

the flush water in the top part can be left there without a problem. but the lower part has to be prepared with 1,5L water and 150ml of chemicals.
those chemicals only last 5 days.

so if you don't use it, you should always flush the bottom part, and refill when you leave for a next trip.

Absolutely, and as said, it was an unintentional prolonged stay in the tank and was flushed out and replaced before first use. My point, poorly made, was more to do with the fact that after all that time it may become less and less effective at breaking up waste but it doesn't appear to have had any detrimental effect on the cassette :thumbsup:

i keep mine top tank with a little water in with added top tank chems in , enough for a couple of flushes the bottom tank just chems and ready to add water should the need arise. it wont damage anything of deteriorate anything inside its plastic is light enough for traveling around with .

Had a real Bonus finding out the Porta Poti fitted in my Van Furniture 3 section bed so its out of the way and is usable in situate. ( Emergency's only ) i did a slight mod to the front surround for me lol . The gap is now packed out with loo rolls it wont move

loo2.jpg

loo4.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help.

All, if your potti won't fit into your cupboards, and it's less than 40x40x40cm Argos have small ottomans in their sale down to £10, they tidy the van up and give an extra seat.

All, if your potti won't fit into your cupboards, and it's less than 40x40x40cm Argos have small ottomans in their sale down to £10, they tidy the van up and give an extra seat.
The Dunelm ones are good too! So many uses including loo covers.

Good find. And the Dunelm one too by @SENTINEL :thumbsup:

Great to have options.

Back