Camping & Holidaying As A 'loner'

P

Phil_G

Feeling down tonight.
There must be others in a similar situation, its 3 years since I lost Pol. 'Soul mates' is an overused cliche these days but we truly were. We'd been together from teenagers for 42 years. Avid campervaners, Europe, etc.
Since then I've camped on my own just once, and whilst I managed to keep myself occupied during the day, evenings were just awful.

It seemed the Swift was too big for just me so I've recently swapped for the T6 Birchover, which I've not yet camped in & I'm a bit apprehensive... There must be many in a similar situation, and I'm not looking for sympathy but just wondering how others have adapted. After 42 years how do you begin to 'holiday' alone? Any practical tips? Are 'themed' breaks a good idea, where there's organised activity like cycling or even paragliding, or some kind of target or achievement, like climbing or sailing... I dunno.
TIA
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
After being with my childhood sweetheart for 33 years, and still going strong, I can only imagine what you are going through. A couple of the guys we camp and sail with are both going through similar to yourself though and, for them, the key has been to carry on doing what they previously loved doing with their wives (e.g. as well as camping/travelling, one shared a love of photography with his wife and that is something he has thrown himself into since her passing 2.5 years ago and is now getting some commercial success) - I'm not pretending things are easy for them and when we are all away there are often times when they need a bit of space and simply just shut the doors on their campers for a while but, on the whole, they just carry on doing the things they love (as their partners would have wished).

Get yourself to Camperjam and Busfest on the T6F club pitches - also consider coming to Bala. On top of loads to see and do during the day and well into the evening there is guaranteed to be plenty of people there with a common interest who will keep you chatting and laughing late into the night.

Dave.

I'm a divorced singleton with a teenage daughter that has no interest in coming away with me. I've fortunately never had an issue keeping myself occupied, and sometimes prefer it.
I fill my time , biking hiking and paddleboarding and always seem to get chatting with somebody when I stop for a beer or coffee.

Again on an evening on a site, when your sat outside I guarantee someone always comes over for a chat, or if the weather is pants I normally watch a film.
So keep your chin up and don't put things off you enjoy, while your fit enough to do it.

Feel for you my friend, must admit I would be in the same state if it happened to me. We both love going to our caravan though I do tend to go off on my own with my camera. Only advice I can give is to try and carry on with what you both loved, she will always be in your heart with you.

Hi Phil

I'm in a different situation but do holiday solo (sometimes) have a look at Solo travel with Intrepid Travel the moto is Go solo, but not alone. Traveled with them to Vietnam back in 2015 was my first group holiday and it was amazing. Met loads of great people and been on holiday with a few of them every year since.

If you want something completely different my mind was blown open out in the Nevada Desert https://burningman.org/ It's a tempory city where like-minded ppl get together and form camps. You join a camp that has a theme you like the look of, there something for everyone VW Bus Camp.com for example, I ended up in Orphan/Endorphin Camps, Burning Man 2016 MOVIES! words canny explain this one, videos do it a wee bit more justice but the reality is you need to go to understand.

I also holiday to visit friends, some that I have met while on holiday, going out to Seattle soon to catch up with a friend I made at burning man.

Kev

Hi Phil

I'm in a different situation but do holiday solo (sometimes) have a look at Solo travel with Intrepid Travel the moto is Go solo, but not alone. Traveled with them to Vietnam back in 2015 was my first group holiday and it was amazing. Met loads of great people and been on holiday with a few of them every year since.

If you want something completely different my mind was blown open out in the Nevada Desert https://burningman.org/ It's a tempory city where like-minded ppl get together and form camps. You join a camp that has a theme you like the look of, there something for everyone VW Bus Camp.com for example, I ended up in Orphan/Endorphin Camps, Burning Man 2016 MOVIES! words canny explain this one, videos do it a wee bit more justice but the reality is you need to go to understand.

I also holiday to visit friends, some that I have met while on holiday, going out to Seattle soon to catch up with a friend I made at burning man.

Kev

I’m envious, seen the burning man videos and it’s on the ‘to do’ list. Did you do the full week?

Hi Phil

My dad is in a very similar situation, as my mum has also been gone for three years, after them having 42 years together. He has continued to go away in their Hymer motorhome, and whilst it's clear from taking to him that the evenings can be a bit lonely, I definitely think that the extended trips abroad (Portugal next week, with his trail bike in the boot) and interesting trips like the Outer Hebrides have been really good for him. I think generally he goes to the pub for a pint, watches TV or spends a few hours on his bike forums (must run in the family!) in the evenings, or visits friends in different areas.

We've also been away in our vans together for weekends, although funnily enough he seems to quickly retreat to his own van when we and the kids start making too much of a racket! All the best, Tom

Back