Fishing tackle storage in a conversion

Van Helsing

Hiya everyone,

I've just joined this forum after lurking around for a while, reading various threads I've had a look to see if this topic has been covered in the past but can see nothing similar so here goes...

We've had a Kombi for a few years now, just chucking a mattress in the back for camping purposes. After much debate we're now about to bite the bullet and go full conversion. We haven't yet approached a converter.

Our issue is, Mr VH is an avid fisherman and has a lot of tackle (rods, poles, seating palaver etc etc) which goes in the van each week for his attendance at matches. At the moment it all gets thrown in behind the seats.

The problem, when the van is converted, is that the available tackle space will be more 'fixed' what with kitchen storage and beds/seating. *We are open to fixed or sliding seats and haven't decided on a particular make of seat yet*

The only solution we can currently come up with is removable frontage/fascias to the area beneath the seats (if that makes sense?) so that his rods can slide through this.

We wondered if there were any other anglers out there who had come up with anything interesting for their tackle?

Thanks in advance,
Mrs VH

That’s what many do to cart their skiing gear. Your issue will be how to store overnight.

*JOG congratulates himself on avoiding all double entendres about Mr VH’s rod and tackle!
Yup, we have a Reimo variotech bed which has a removable panel on the furniture side. This allows long objects to be transported/stored. We leave our skis in overnight & it doesn’t impact the use of the bed or furniture.

for avoiding the double entendres...I had to resist adding 'ooer missus' after each mention.

Thanks for the replies, at least we're on the right track.

You're right about overnight storage being an issue, although his tackle doesn't always accompany us on camping trips The rods would be fine under the bed as per Salty spuds' comment, it's what to do with the seating that's the problem (it could always go in the awning I guess as it isn't worth quite as much I don't think).

for avoiding the double entendres...I had to resist adding 'ooer missus' after each mention.

Thanks for the replies, at least we're on the right track.

You're right about overnight storage being an issue, although his tackle doesn't always accompany us on camping trips The rods would be fine under the bed as per Salty spuds' comment, it's what to do with the seating that's the problem (it could always go in the awning I guess as it isn't worth quite as much I don't think).
I’m not quite sure what you mean by “where to put the seating” what seating are you referring to?

A trailer is a nice idea but might just be too much of a hassle!

More than likely it can go in the van when we travel (if we're prepared to spend the £££s and get seats on rails) and then in the awning when we're pitched up.

How about a long but narrow style roof box. We bought one for a car so we could get a bike on the roof at the same time, and it works fine with the van. Just need to get a collapsible ladder, but even that isn’t essential.

Pete

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Out of the towing option and roof box option, I think the latter would be easier to manage from a stressy driver pov!

We also plan on getting a pop top but I believe some will support weight on top.

Decisions Decisions : )

The towbar carrier clamps onto the towbar and is then rigid, so you aren’t actually towing. However, they can impede the tailgate / barn doors.

What about the sort of thing plumbers have for pipes on the roof for the rods?

You can get lockable storage boxes that go on the towbar. Very stable when travelling
Roof mounted storage like the Thule storage boxes. Safe and out of the van, oh and lockable.

Back