Camper Conversion - 1 Converter Or Choose The ?best? From Different Suppliers

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi All,

Another thread I'm afraid, but hopefully others may find it useful.

Up until now I have been looking at individual camper converters to do my conversion. I have looked at the likes of Exploria, New Wave, CMC, VW-T, Van-worx, etc. but now i am wondering if it would be worth choosing the best bits from various suppliers, such as

CMC for the Reimo Roof and comfort bed (if i do not go with SCA or HiLo, Still unsure) and Variotech 3000 rails/seat bed system. Absolut5 for the Audio, electrics, heater, sound deadening, insulation and lining.
and other suppliers for the gas/water and furniture side...

My reason for considering this is I would not then be tying myself to a particular supplier (so risk is spread) and perhaps it will allow me to achieve the best of what all suppliers can offer. On the price side of things that would all have to be negotiated but i was considering £15- £18k on the conversion - possibly a bit more if I raid the kids piggy bank.

Any way i would welcome thoughts on the possibility of this approach.

Thanks as ever,

CZ.

Personally I think you'd end up with cupboard doors that catch the table or open the wrong way, gas rings that singe cupboards above, wardrobes that you cant get into when the bed is down, silly examples I know but the point is that a conversion is designed as one, different companies and different customers have different ideas and so you see a variety of layouts, priorities, and convenience based on the converters thoroughly considered overall plan.
If you mix and match, there is no plan, theres no symbiosis. It just might work, but it might equally be a complete nightmare. I would choose one good, proven converter but thats just my two-penn'orth
Cheers
Phil

Also bear in mind that you're raising the prospect of two fitters blaming each other for faults and you get stuck in the middle.

Personally I think you'd end up with cupboard doors that catch the table or open the wrong way, gas rings that singe cupboards above, wardrobes that you cant get into when the bed is down, silly examples I know but the point is that a conversion is designed as one, different companies and different customers have different ideas and so you see a variety of layouts, priorities, and convenience based on the converters thoroughly considered overall plan.
If you mix and match, there is no plan, theres no symbiosis. It just might work, but it might equally be a complete nightmare. I would choose one good, proven converter but thats just my two-penn'orth
Cheers
Phil
This is why I had been looking for one converter but have struggled as am based in Kent and two of the good options I have found - Exploria and New Wave - are miles away. Also Exploria was coming out very expensive... the kitchen would be fitted with the plumbing and gas to avoid those issues and the seats will be moveable - but i do take your point...

Also bear in mind that you're raising the prospect of two fitters blaming each other for faults and you get stuck in the middle.
True - I was trying to negate this by using reputable firms with clear accountability for the different bits - which should not overlap in terms of hard install. see below for suggested stages... This is still only a consideration as months away from my Van being delivered...

Conversion stages

Stage 1 - find supplier

Roof install - SCA, Reimo or HiLo (Thinking of Reimo with comfort bed , open sky canvas)
Reimo Variotech 3000 seat bed system on rails with 7 fixation points (120cm bed/seat)
Notes - Will ask for rails and roof/bed to be installed without sound proofing, insulation and floor.

Stage 2 - Possible supplier - ???
Full insulation and sound proofing + finished floor

Electrics

- system to allow for charging of Van/Leisure batteries from engine, 240 hook-up and 300w solar panel (do you do solar) - 1 or 2 leisure batteries (depending on space available)
- x3 240v sockets, 3x 12v sockets, 3x double USB points, 2 x USB points in pop-top area,
- Lighting - LED lights, LED lights installed in tailgate door to provide light when tailgate open (with on/off switch), colour changing LED options for Kitchen units, LED lighting in pop top
- Heating - Eberspacher or Webasto Diesel heater with 7 day timer and remote/app control?
- Audio upgrade

Other possible options:

- Alpine X802D-U - cost
- 18/22inch flip down roof monitor (DIVX/MP4/AVI compatible. HDMI / USB extension (for HDD) to be available to glove compartment or a rear/kitchen cupboard

Stage 3 - find supplier

- Kitchen install
- Curtains / Van shades
- Water storage, pump and plumbing. To include rear shower point and grey water capture and also grey water release tap
- Underslung gas tank to include connections for hob and bbq point (fitted under rear bumper)

Stage 4 - final electric/other fix - Stage 2 installer?
Finish any electrics/other work related to kitchen

Other factors to consider

- VB Air suspension - at some point…

I travelled all over the UK looking at conversion company’s.
I settled on a finished van by a particular conversion company (Jaibow) as he fitted the roof we loved(Hilow) it also happened the company was amazing and so was his installation and cannot do enough for us.
As stated above i would be worried about cherry picking, you are opening yourself up to the Blair game if problems occur,
I also fell in love with Camper_version, who were very local to me, but he wouldn’t give a warranty on the roof with roof bars fitted, so we didn’t buy from them.

There were so many niggles I had with different company’s, liked this didn’t like that, it was a 2 year process for us, (15 months research 9 months actually deciding on a van/conversion company but in the end I got the exact van I wanted.

Agree with previous comments, I would have thought a good converter would be able to meet your specific needs and not tie you to their standard packages... and if you're after a recommendation then it has to be VanWorx in Portland, Dorset. They will customise their design, their work is all VW and type approved too - and yep, they did my van so maybe I'm just a bit biased :whistle:

Think you could be overthinking/complicating things for yourself here. I’d agree with most of the above in selecting one converter and spend a lot of time with them sorting out what you want. My personal recommendation would be New Wave - I had several unique requests not on their menu which they were able to supply no problems. Good luck!

Thanks all. You are echoing my thoughts but needed to hear it here too. Its not an easy choice as I have a long list of wants/needs and a reasonable but not excessive budget. I have toyed with trying to do it in stages with an individual converter but that is a little impractical...

As a dissenting voice, I've done the exact opposite to the other guys who have commented, partly because I had quite specific aims for the big ticket items (roof, rnr). I picked and chose exactly what I wanted from converters and then chose the bits I wanted to DIY (for fun and to save£). Breakdown roughly as:

• XtremeVan
    • HiLo roof
  • DirtyWeekender
    • Reimo Variotech 3000
    • Leisure electrics basics
  • DIY:
    • Sound deadening
    • Insulation
    • Lining
    • Appliances, lighting, sockets
    • Furniture (I have designed my own custom layout and will get it CNCd directly)
I think it would get complicated if you had very specific reqs AND werent prepared to do any DIY but for me, its allowed me to pick and choose the EXACT components I want and pick an experienced fitter for each.

Horses for courses, depends what your aim is.

As a dissenting voice, I've done the exact opposite to the other guys who have commented, partly because I had quite specific aims for the big ticket items (roof, rnr). I picked and chose exactly what I wanted from converters and then chose the bits I wanted to DIY (for fun and to save£). Breakdown roughly as:

• XtremeVan
    • HiLo roof
  • DirtyWeekender
    • Reimo Variotech 3000
  • DIY:
    • Sound deadening
    • Insulation
    • Lining
    • Furniture (I have designed my own custom layout and will get it CNCd directly)
I think it would get complicated if you had very specific reqs AND werent prepared to do any DIY but for me, its allowed me to pick and choose the EXACT components I want and pick an experienced fitter for each.

Its a difficult one as this will be the second largest purchase after the house that i have made. I want to have a a well designed camper that will hopefully hold its value(wish) for a few years and in say 4 years I can decide whether i want to keep it or move on to another or something else. I broadly know the components i want but am not sure on any one convertor. Also looking at some of the names it is difficult to judge how long they will be around for. Also with those that have been around for 10-20 years they are a little set in their ways -sSay only sticking to RIB beds or a cali slider as an example.

What i would like is all of the basics, the pop top, the sound deadening, insulation, electrics, multimedia - the bits that are all 'built-in', all done really well so that i do not have to touch them again or worry about them. Ditto for the track/seat system. I (we) all make large investments into the vans and i guess its just wanting to make sure that you end up with something you are 100% happy with.

• XtremeVan
    • HiLo roof
  • DirtyWeekender
    • Reimo Variotech 3000
  • DIY:
    • Sound deadening
    • Insulation
    • Lining

Hi

Would it be possible to see some pictures of your van/Reimo 3000 and any feedback negative/positive most welcome as I'm seriously keen on this particular setup myself

Thanks in advance

Hi

Would it be possible to see some pictures of your van/Reimo 3000 and any feedback negative/positive most welcome as I'm seriously keen on this particular setup myself

Thanks in advance

Would love to but its in repair shop atm....

Wife got rear ended (oooh err!).

Oh dear, sorry to hear and would be totally gutted myself, hope it all ends well :thumbsup:
It happens. Just a new tailgate and 2 new bumpers needed. More hassle than anything else, losing time when I was planning to be converting.

Anyway, happy to post some pics when it's back. As a summary, works great, headroom a bit restricted for adults in the back (fine if under 6") but it's lower than a rib, so can't imagine how little there must be with that combo. Rails are super smooth.

Back