Camper Build Down Under

Look an the arb site, think about their elec pumps, but Also carrying their tyre repair sticks kit.. Look good on ytube, a mates used them as well.. Might get you out of a hole or two... Sorry pun intended lol

Sorry if teaching to suck eggs, you know your outback better than me...

I have not seen anything like VCDS here in Oz. I agree it would be nice to have, I already have an airbag warning light on that I cannot trace so will just leave alone until the next VW service. It probably is only a reset as the poser has been off whilst doing the electrical fit out.

Yeah, if needs be, get one aired over to you at one of your stops.. Other than that, an after trip purchase?

Have an electric pump on board already so I can re-inflate tires when back on made road and also fitted tire monitoring system. will look into a VCDS, probably not on this trip.

Good, what do you reckon to their repair kit?..
I have heard some do carry the plug repair kits but the damage is normally side wall that plugs will not fix. Lowering the tire pressure usually helps. Whilst it is fairly remote, it is not one of the really really remote roads and there should be a couple of cars a day passing that can always carry a message to the next town getting help if in trouble.

I have heard some do carry the plug repair kits but the damage is normally side wall that plugs will not fix. Lowering the tire pressure usually helps. Whilst it is fairly remote, it is not one of the really really remote roads and there should be a couple of cars a day passing that can always carry a message to the next town getting help if in trouble.

Kit does do sidewalls.. I'll post a vid m8

Two years ago wife and I did a similar trip in our old Kombi. There were lots of places that it just would not go and breakdowns were always a threat. That is why I decided to build a new one on a T6 4motion platform. There is very little difference in the amount of room between the two base level vans hence building in the bed slide out.

IMG_2479.jpg

Liking the 'Roo bar with the added storage!
I kept the fishing rods and tent poles in the 100mm tube and am putting one up on the side of the van above the drivers side doors. A mate did the tire cover for me, maybe I should put one on the T6, at least it would be easier to get to the spare.

Thanks for the link to the tire repair kits, I will go and have a talk to the local ARB store and a look.

Garry

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen anything like VCDS here in Oz. I agree it would be nice to have, I already have an airbag warning light on that I cannot trace so will just leave alone until the next VW service. It probably is only a reset as the poser has been off whilst doing the electrical fit out.
I have the same air bag warning. It's caused by turning the ignition on when the airback side panel is disconnected (the panel on the side of the dash you can put your key in to disable the airbag). It's nothing to worry about it just needs reset. Reset can be done by VCDS or pick up a Carista module from Amazon (£30 in U.K. Plus £10 for weeks subscription) . Handy little tool that plugs into the van then you talk to it via a phone app.

Great work on your conversion and epic trip lined up!

I have the same air bag warning. It's caused by turning the ignition on when the airback side panel is disconnected (the panel on the side of the dash you can put your key in to disable the airbag). It's nothing to worry about it just needs reset. Reset can be done by VCDS or pick up a Carista module from Amazon (£30 in U.K. Plus £10 for weeks subscription) . Handy little tool that plugs into the van then you talk to it via a phone app.

Great work on your conversion and epic trip lined up!

Thanks for that info, I gathered it was not a critical fault given the work and wiring that we had out last week, I will get it fixed next service unless i get a VCDS unit

I kept the fishing rods and tent poles in the 100mm tube and am putting one up on the side of the van above the drivers side doors. A mate did the tire cover for me, maybe I should put one on the T6, at least it would be easier to get to the spare.

Thanks for the link to the tire repair kits, I will go and have a talk to the local ARB store and a look.

Garry
Let us know how you go with the arb store m8, I almost brought their twin compressor and tank in a case kit.. Still after one.. Lol

Let us know how you go with the arb store m8, I almost brought their twin compressor and tank in a case kit.. Still after one.. Lol
spemding the money but am worling on replacing my tyres with Coopers MnS. The original VW fits have only lasted for 25k km

Back