Camper Build Down Under

Great work, have you been kitting it out after you had the body done. It's not something I would attempt now but if I'd been younger I'd have had a go. :thumbsup:

I purchased it as a bare 4wd Auto T6 Transporter in the rear but with heated leather seats and a few other luxuries such as sat nav up the front. Then imported the poptop from Germany, the bed/seat from UK and the rest of the gear has been local.

Don’t know how ‘young' you need to be but I am 70 next birthday and plan on using it in stead of my old T1 for the next 10+ years around Australia for at least a couple of months a year during the winter to get out of the cold down south.

Garry

Don’t know how ‘young' you need to be but I am 70 next birthday and plan on using it in stead of my old T1 for the next 10+ years around Australia for at least a couple of months a year during the winter to get out of the cold down south.
Ok you win, you got 5 years on me, looks like I need to find a hobby in my retirement better look for a baay to sort out

I have to admit, I am getting others to do all the hard stuff, my job is to get the parts, design, do the easy jobs and be the trade assistant on the other professional bits. :)

After months working on the van I have finally got and installed Vanshades window pods. Then off to the cabinet maker and working on fitting cabinets under seats and a small kitchen. The slide out for the bed works well. limited storage down beside the 1300mm wide bed.
IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1405.jpg IMG_1403.jpg IMG_1402.jpg IMG_1400.jpg IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1394.jpg

Looks great mate, coming along nicely you have made some big progress, looks like its going to be a very unique build - awesome :thumbsup:

@GarryM , nice work.. Any feedback on Pete's Vanshades m8? Good value? Good kit? Etc etc... But well done, now kick back and have a few stubbies..

Heading north for about 4500km (800km dirt) on Saturday then back down around the east coast taking a total of three months to do.

18881964_10154841492716225_7788879407270980173_n.jpg

Heading north for about 4500km (800km dirt) on Saturday then back down around the east coast taking a total of three months to do.

View attachment 9419
Advantage of a decent sized plot of land.. You know what comes next......

New thread dedicated to your quick jaunt... And loadsa updates and pics pleeeaassseee.... Lol

@GarryM , nice work.. Any feedback on Pete's Vanshades m8? Good value? Good kit? Etc etc... But well done, now kick back and have a few stubbies..
The shade pods took a bit of thinking to fit, I thought that there was some minor modifications that improved how they fit but they work well with the OEM slide windows Was able to fit the whole lot in a day. They are blackouts and work super well.

What cooker you using? @GarryM looks good..
There is tow different types of cooker,. one on the bench top is a 240v electric but in the cupboard below is a marine two burner spirit stove that will be used outside the van as the primary stove.

The shade pods took a bit of thinking to fit, I thought that there was some minor modifications that improved how they fit but they work well with the OEM slide windows Was able to fit the whole lot in a day. They are blackouts and work super well.

Useful being blackout s over your way.. Any ideas I'm sure Pete will be interested in, as he seems a good sort.. And your climate and adventure should be the toughest test yet AFAIK...

Under one side of the van is the water tank holding 45l (made with three lengths of 100mm pvc tubing all linked and having a filler nozel at the back of the kitchen cabinets accessible from the second sliding door. Fitted with electric pump to the sink and also at the rear of the cabinet in a small hatch with a pull out shower.

Will start a new set of posts for the trip.

VCD’S? Various CD’s? I have very good Automobile Club top cover if I break down. Look up Birdsville Track, Lots of rutted dirt track and high probability of tire problems. Have to let the tires down to 15-20psi to stop the gibber stone desert from cutting the tire to shreds. Thinking of carrying a second one in case of emergency. Should carry a satellite phone and an EPIRB.

Sat phone deffo, second spare.. Yeah good call, fit to hatch?..

You can get piggy back satphone units for the Iphones.. But I'd go dedicated, as well as a basic backup gps.. Handheld... Epirb as a last ditch as well.. Good call

Sounds like a nice little shakedown run.. Lol

Back