Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

I’ve just bought a gates pump for my belt change, it does away with the electrics.

Reactions: DXX
Where does the 4 years come from, its not on the written in the manufacturers service schedule? there is no time interval whatsoever on the schedule? 40k km check, 120k km change for dusty regions? They are having your pants down I think? If you say it is UK only yes there are differences between countries but they are mentioned in the schedule e.g Russia, China..... no different for the cam belt though. The UK doesn't get a mention.

If it went to court the printed document from the manufacturer would be the evidence and I am afraid a dealer to VWUK saying verbally it is 4yrs wouldn't be evidence.
I assume earlier models had this requirement?

Where does the 4 years come from, its not on the written in the manufacturers service schedule? there is no time interval whatsoever on the schedule? 40k km check, 120k km change for dusty regions? They are having your pants down I think? If you say it is UK only yes there are differences between countries but they are mentioned in the schedule e.g Russia, China..... no different for the cam belt though. The UK doesn't get a mention.

If it went to court the printed document from the manufacturer would be the evidence and I am afraid a dealer to VWUK saying verbally it is 4yrs wouldn't be evidence.
I assume earlier models had this requirement?
I guess you didn't read this topic before you posted... I don't blame you.

Have you got a link to the video a couple of posts above? Can’t seem to find it on here.
Thanks

This post
or
This post

I don't think @Dellmassive has it on his channel any more.
No I hadn't but I just have, bizarre in that case the UK hasn't been added to the list of deviations from the default servicing schedule. I am still of the opinion it is rip off but for every post you see that a changed water pump and belt at 4 years were like brand new you get some doomsayer who says they were knackered! I'll look for a VW independent close to the time that can carry work without invalidating warranty, if one exists. . So much for upgrading a water pump to one equally unreliable if it still needs changing ev very 4 years...... it stinks.

Reactions: Loz
Only my opinion here but I have always found it strange and we are collectively guilty I think of spending money on our vans on all manor of stuff but when it comes to the cambelt issue a lot of moaning surrounds it the parts done come to more than £150 for genuine ( I know not the electric pump before anyone shoots me down) and in reality it’s a 2hr job at the most, anyone that feels confident in doing it so much info out there to hold your hand written out step by step, VAG belts I’ve found always the easiest to do never any nastys to catch you out

I was lucky to pick up a Gates timing belt kit including pump for £81 off fleabay with a voucher, normally £101 delivered. The Gates pump does away with the electrics.

I was lucky to pick up a Gates timing belt kit including pump for £81 off fleabay with a voucher, normally £101 delivered. The Gates pump does away with the electrics.
If the replacement pump has no electrics, then doesn't this throw up a fault in engine management?

Only my opinion here but I have always found it strange and we are collectively guilty I think of spending money on our vans on all manor of stuff but when it comes to the cambelt issue a lot of moaning surrounds it the parts done come to more than £150 for genuine ( I know not the electric pump before anyone shoots me down) and in reality it’s a 2hr job at the most, anyone that feels confident in doing it so much info out there to hold your hand written out step by step, VAG belts I’ve found always the easiest to do never any nastys to catch you out
I don’t think that there has been any moaning about doing proper maintenance to the cam belt. The moaning has been about VW UK going against VW’s extensively researched maintenance recommendations and trashing perfectly good parts in order to make some quick cash.

I don’t think it will as it’s a output to a solenoid, I will try disconnecting one at work when get a chance, the problem I would say is then your going to have a live plug with no termination

This is a topic that goes round and round in circles if you want to do your belt at four years do it if you don’t then don’t surely it’s that simple, personally I would not put any of my vehicles in the hands of another technician, I had no choice regarding getting a key programmed and they screwed that up ( any technician before I’m criticised again )
Dealers are there to make money not to help out or be friendly it’s all numbers to them I’ve been in that environment and still have dealings today and I’m never shocked at some of the work that’s turned out because of bonus chasing

Back