Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

Changed the belt and tensioner this afternoon.

I took the wheel arch liner off, but it was a waste of time and didn’t help with access, so used the camping levellers to get a bit of height and removed the under tray and did it mostly from underneath.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the tension off the tensioner to put an Allen key in the holes to lock it, but never managed it, so just lowered the tension and slipped the belt off.

It was fairly easy to get the old tensioner off and the new one on, but not quite sure I managed the 50NM + 90deg on the spline bolt, more like 50+60deg, but it felt pretty tight.

The old belt looked fine and the old tensioner had good spring tension and the bearings were fine. The spring on the old one did feel a bit sticky as though it was getting a bit gummed up and not moving freely. I also noted the belt was overhanging the roller by about 2mm on the old one but not on the new one, so I think the roller had moved over slightly.

Anyhow nice to have a quiet van and saved myself £200 vs letting VW do it.
Nice. That’s my job lined up for tomorrow. Saved me the bother of whipping out the wheelarch liner too. Thanks!

Did mine today. All from underneath.

Used a 4mm drill to lock the old one.

Took me 1hr 20. Would’ve been quicker but I grabbed the old bolt accidentally and fitted the new one with that! Luckily not torqued up. So actually did it virtually twice.

Sounds sweeeeeeet now.

I reckon it was the belt on the alternator pulley squeaking. It wouldn’t squeak for about 3-4 seconds after you started it, as the alternator doesn’t kick in straight away. It’d make sense also, as it tended to be better when the van had been run for a while (and therefore the battery voltage was up) and the load was lower on the alternator. Could well be a contributory factor to the “low battery” problem we all know and love.

The spring on the old one was sluggish and sticky, whereas the new one felt more “springy”.

Even after two weeks of no use, the stop start was working on mine within 2 miles of driving with the new tensioner. Seems to be putting a better charge in.

2CE3F80C-A7D8-4D94-B7FA-A90277D98CE3.jpeg

01E6FD93-70B5-4AA3-A52E-002B3ABBB299.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m wondering if it could be more of a misalignment of the pulleys as I only had the candle on the edge of the belt, so the squeak must be the side of the belt rubbing on the lip of one of the pulleys. Also noticed the belt overhangs the tensioner wheel by about 2mm.
Mine was the same. It was making the reinforcement in the belt go a little frilly on the edge that was overhanging.

The old pulley also showed a dull area where the belt wasn’t running on that part.

The new one is bang on, and pushes on the belt evenly.

72DFA15B-FB2B-428F-9F51-CF4F57C5524C.jpeg

2AAB9431-B329-41BB-B9AB-A03EA5CED187.jpeg

Last edited:
Guys my T6 204 DSG is in the dealer and they’re saying the aux belt is slightly overlapping the tensioner. I’ve not noticed any noises. I have the extended warranty, any idea if it should be covered? It’s £170 so not a disaster but be good to know. Cambelt was done a year ago in main dealer (but not this one).

I’d suggest it should be covered, provided the service history is up to date (cam belt noted).

They recommend it, but I’m sure many people don’t. It was only a couple of £ though so I replaced mine.

I've just done my Tensioner, belt, idler pulley and all the bolts this morning. Like someone else said it's not to hard a job if your reasonably handy\patient. Although I will say you need a plethora of Torque wrenches, standard wrenches, sockets, socket adapters and Spline bits, had to use various wrenches to remove and tighten various bolts based on the limited space available for the job (I did the majority from underneath the van with the van up on a kerb and the steering on full lock). I have one question mind, do you need to hold the tension on the new tensioner when removing the pin? Then release it slowly by hand rather than just letting it go? I assumed just pull the pin and the tensioner spring takes care of the rest....

I've just done my Tensioner, belt, idler pulley and all the bolts this morning. Like someone else said it's not to hard a job if your reasonably handy\patient. Although I will say you need a plethora of Torque wrenches, standard wrenches, sockets, socket adapters and Spline bits, had to use various wrenches to remove and tighten various bolts based on the limited space available for the job (I did the majority from underneath the van with the van up on a kerb and the steering on full lock). I have one question mind, do you need to hold the tension on the new tensioner when removing the pin? Then release it slowly by hand rather than just letting it go? I assumed just pull the pin and the tensioner spring takes care of the rest....
No harm in letting it go but make sure your fingers are clear or you might be waiting along time before somebody finds you under the van.

No harm in letting it go but make sure your fingers are clear or you might be waiting along time before somebody finds you under the van.
Yeh, my thoughts exactly. Got a mate popping round later so I'll probably hold fire so he can stand up top with a wrench on it. Seems pretty stiff to pull the pin out anyway so if someone's giving it a wiggle from the top it should make it easier to slide out. (for anyone else doing this, make sure the pin is out before starting the engine!!!)

I usually hold the tension with a spanner and release it slowly. Get the spanner as far towards 9o'clock as possible so that there is enough space for it to rotate anti-clockwise towards the alternator when you are releasing the tension.

Hi, was given an advisory on the service this year for our 2018 T6, that we have a noisy Alternator Belt/Tensioner. You can hear it on start up and it does not go away. Was given no advice by the dealership in as what to do about it, ( don't trust them anymore as they who tried to give me another Cam belt change this year when they had done it the previous year when I rang to book the service!). It's out of warranty so I will not get a free replacement. I rang VW customer service who were completely useless with respect to a history of possible Tensioner problems, no surprise there!
Need advice, do I take it to a different dealership (Marshalls Bridgewater) or try an independent garage (Arnie Levics Ltd - Street - recommended by locals)?

Lyndy

mine is sounding the same and getting worse when I turn the A/C on. Took it to vw and told them something is wrong with the A/C as its doing this noise (thats what I thought it was) and they checked the A/C and told me nothings wrong with it.. ok nothing wrong with the A/C but u not curious why is making that noise ? so until this day, van out of warranty and noise still there. Will get the Cambelt changed soon so hopefully that sorts it out. Question is , the cam belt service which is priced at 570 vat included + water pump. does this include the tensioner as well ?
Probably not , Cam belt was changed last year and then we have this noise a year later!

£297 at VW Van Centre Manchester.

Not covered by the All-in-one plan.

Or at least, tensioner is but belt isn't.

And they don't recommend a new belt on an old tensioner. :(

£297 at VW Van Centre Manchester.

Not covered by the All-in-one plan.

Or at least, tensioner is but belt isn't.

And they don't recommend a new belt on an old tensioner. :(
A new tensioner and belt from vw is £120ish, you'll save some money if you do it yourself, it's not a hard job. I did one on my sisters t6

Back