California Seat/bed - Range Of Movement Rearwards

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
713E6C22-DFEC-4FF4-904E-559164AA7C30.jpeg For those of you with the California rear bench, how far back does it slide?

I just had mine installed yesterday and have discovered that it will not slide fully back as it fouls the wheel arch. I was not expecting this and am rather disappointed as I wanted the option to slide it fully rearwards (so the seat back is against the tailgate) to make full use of an “L” shaped lounge. In reality, it doesn’t go much further back than in the photo.

Thanks.

I thought California seats were triples, not a double like yours.

If you look in the rails near the back there are small bars across. The seat slides all the way back to these.

IMG_1529.JPG

The Cali Ocean rear seat isn’t designed to slide up to the tailgate due to the rail positioning and the NS wheel arch. It works with the multiplex board to form the bed.
Did you not investigate before deciding on the Cali bed? Other Transporter derivatives may have provided a better option?

I thought California seats were triples, not a double like yours.

If you look in the rails near the back there are small bars across. The seat slides all the way back to these.

View attachment 44896
I believe there is a 3 seater version for where there is no furniture, such as in some versions of the Beach. But where there is a kitchen or other furniture, then a 2 seat is used. Certainly I believe I have a genuine VW California seat (albeit re-trimmed) and rails.
I didn’t do the fitting myself, but the floor was done last November, and I have only just stomped up the dosh for the seat.
From what I can tell, your seat slides back over the wheel arches, whereas mine doesn’t quite go half way before the lower left edge meets the wheel arch.

The Cali Ocean rear seat isn’t designed to slide up to the tailgate due to the rail positioning and the NS wheel arch. It works with the multiplex board to form the bed.
Did you not investigate before deciding on the Cali bed? Other Transporter derivatives may have provided a better option?
Obviously I didn’t investigate enough! I am beginning to sympathise with all those house builders on Grand Designs if I am having such issues with a simple van conversion!
However, I did discuss this with my converter who knew I wanted to use the low level side furniture as extra leisure seating (hence the upholstery you can see in the photo) and we even discussed a back rest affair to match the rear of the seat in that rear right corner when fully back, but concluded this would be too awkward.

Anyway, you are stating that I shouldn’t expect my seat to slide back fully. Thanks for confirming.

There’s a workaround - you’ll need to nip a bit of box-section off and, most likely, have the seat frame bent slightly (some two-seater Cali beds don’t seem to need this).
It’s all doable, so don’t worry yourself too much. But you may be able to get the converter to sort it out as a freebie

There’s a workaround - you’ll need to nip a bit of box-section off and, most likely, have the seat frame bent slightly (some two-seater Cali beds don’t seem to need this).
It’s all doable, so don’t worry yourself too much. But you may be able to get the converter to sort it out as a freebie

Thanks for that. I shall certainly be getting in touch with the converter, as this was discussed and so it doesn’t meet my expectations.

Thanks for that. I shall certainly be getting in touch with the converter, as this was discussed and so it doesn’t meet my expectations.

This is the box section that needs trimming

E651D675-E222-4BF9-B634-B84EB4A1613C.jpeg

I didn’t take photos of the frame after it was altered (local blacksmith done it for £20) but you need to have this side

F0A0CD4E-1A54-4E65-A9D5-3A736013D8EB.jpeg

altered to look like this side

7974E2B6-818D-4D45-9BE2-235B83B95E62.jpeg

Like I said in the earlier post, some seats seem to slide back without this adjustment to the frame and only need the box section trimming.

Once it’s altered, it’ll slide almost all the way back to the tailgate.

I didn’t take photos of the frame after it was altered (local blacksmith done it for £20) but you need to have this side altered to look like this side

Like I said in the earlier post, some seats seem to slide back without this adjustment to the frame and only need the box section trimming.

Thanks for that useful info. I’ll see what the converter says...

I take it that the California models also have this issue, and not just the converted vans?

I take it that the California models also have this issue, and not just the converted vans?
No, because the bed sits on the offside, for which it’s made for - with our conversions we’re moving the bed to the nearside, hence the modifications (making the left side mirror the right)

No, because the bed sits on the offside, for which it’s made for - with our conversions we’re moving the bed to the nearside, hence the modifications (making the left side mirror the right)
Of course! Never thought of that. Thanks.

@Shaun Witts did you manage to get the seat modified and sliding all the way back? I'm poised to buy a two seater cali bed and carry out these modification so I can fit it on the passenger side. Be really handy to hear how you got on.

@Shaun Witts did you manage to get the seat modified and sliding all the way back? I'm poised to buy a two seater cali bed and carry out these modification so I can fit it on the passenger side. Be really handy to hear how you got on.

Yes I did. In fact it didn't take long, and Exploria declared that they would do this for every seat they fit from now on.

That's good to hear! Was the modification the same as was suggested in this thread? Any more details you can share about cutting/welding/painting and whether the seat needed dismantling would be really helpful so I can gauge whether to attempt myself or pay someone else to do it. Thanks!

..Was the modification the same as was suggested in this thread? Any more details you can share about cutting/welding/painting and whether the seat needed dismantling would be really helpful so I can gauge whether to attempt myself or pay someone else to do it..

You can trim the bed section (that clashes with the wheel arch) with the bed in situ, but out and laid down will be better, obviously.

Dismantling the seat frame is easy enough - there are two sets of two bolts at the front end (which screw in to captive nuts within the seat frame) which will release the ‘bum’ part of the bed. You can then take it somewhere to have it
cut, bent, and welded back up to match the opposing side.

That's good to hear! Was the modification the same as was suggested in this thread? Any more details you can share about cutting/welding/painting and whether the seat needed dismantling would be really helpful so I can gauge whether to attempt myself or pay someone else to do it. Thanks!
I believe it was the same as suggested, and they took the seat out to do it - you don't want swarf sticking to your lining!

View attachment 44913

I didn’t take photos of the frame after it was altered (local blacksmith done it for £20) but you need to have this side

View attachment 44914

altered to look like this side

View attachment 44915

@Ads_Essex once you've altered the seat base frame to match the right, do you then need to cut the foam so the seat remains flat and doesn't rise up?

@Ads_Essex once you've altered the seat base frame to match the right, do you then need to cut the foam so the seat remains flat and doesn't rise up?
I’d say you do, but I didn’t do it - the upholsterer sorted that bit after the fabricator had finished with it.
Colin at @VWVC will be able to advise.

Back