Cables In Conduit?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Do you guys run all the cables in conduit? Do they rattle? Is it a real necessity or personal preference?

Has anyone run conduit with some string in it for running additional cables or replacing cables in the future?

I used corrugated cable conduit. The type that is split down its full length. I wouldn’t dream of not protecting wiring. It can be cable tied to the body as there are often spare holes etc.
I have never noticed it rattling.

And, yes, I really wish I had put spare wires in !

Pete

Depends on the wiring. . .

Some will need containment, some will he fine with tessa tape and loomed up.

What were you looking to fit?

Shower outlet at the end of the van, DC-DC converter, MPTT, Solar, Diesel heater, induction hob, inverter, lights, 12v sockets etc.....

Hmm....

If the cable run is behind cupboards etc then no.

But if there is a chance of physical damage in any way then yes.....

So DC-DC cable run in engine bay yes...... but shower feed run behind cupboard no.

Any external cable runs yes, cable runs above the ceiling no...

That's my take on it.... each run will need looking at separately.

Personally, i never use the use the stuff. I much prefer using nylon braided sleeve on exposed or unprotected cables and binding with a rayon fabric tape on longer looms.
If you do decide to use corrugated tubing you MUST tape the wires together before inserting them into the tube. Failure to do this can lead to insulation damage and subsequent moisture ingress leading to conductor corrosion.

Back