Cable size for amps and split charger?

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Sorry, this is doing my head in...

I've got 2 amps to install:
https://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_MRP-F200.PDF (T130 variant)
Alpine MRP M500 - Amplifier Owner`s manual : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive (M450 variant)

I want to run one power cable from vehicle battery to under driver's seat and from there onto front passenger seat. here I want to split this cable to each amp. I think I need 8 awg for each leg from split to amps and 4 awg for the main run with an 80 amp fuse at the battery end. To reach this conclusion I've looked at the figures in the manuals and added them up. Is this right? Only I had these amps installed in a different car – all on 8 awg with a 40 amp fuse. Worked fine, no fires, but maybe just got lucky!

Next thing is that at some point I want to install a leisure battery (under driver's seat) with a split charge system. I don't want to have to run a second cable in future or to replace this one.
Planning to run it to a distribution block and then on to each item. What size cable would I need for the main run and what size fuse?

Please tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way!

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry, this is doing my head in...

I've got 2 amps to install:
https://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_MRP-F200.PDF (T130 variant)
Alpine MRP M500 - Amplifier Owner`s manual : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive (M450 variant)

I want to run one power cable from vehicle battery to under driver's seat and from there onto front passenger seat. here I want to split this cable to each amp. I think I need 8 awg for each leg from split to amps and 4 awg for the main run with an 80 amp fuse at the battery end. To reach this conclusion I've looked at the figures in the manuals and added them up. Is this right? Only I had these amps installed in a different car – all on 8 awg with a 40 amp fuse. Worked fine, no fires, but maybe just got lucky!

Next thing is that at some point I want to install a leisure battery (under driver's seat) with a split charge system. I don't want to have to run a second cable in future or to replace this one.
Planning to run it to a distribution block and then on to each item. What size cable would I need for the main run and what size fuse?

Please tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way!

Thanks,
Rob
Hope our conversation helped

Back