Cab - replace rubber with carpet

@Mojave Frank I thought of doing the same, but had concerns about it getting a bit wet. In the end I ordered the THQ moulded carpet for £240. The quality is not as I’d expect from VW OEM, but better than carpet lining. I haven’t fitted it yet as it requires seats and lower dash trim removal, so need a day spare!! I’ll send update/pics when it’s done!
thanks mate keep us updated!

Soooo... I'm thinking of carpet lining the squashy rubber cab floor that came with my T6. Its the one you get in the highline panel van.

Has anyone tried this? I've finished the rear and have quite a lot of carpet left over.

The plan is to put proper mats on top to protect it afterwards. Just trying to make it feel a bit less 'panel van'

Check out my build thread in my signature. I fitted the Newton Commercial carpet. This is the same carpet sold by Transporter HQ

I got a fitted mat that covers everything but the rubber under the gear lever console. I spent £28 on this one on ebay and it's such a good fit it doesn't need velcro or anything. I guess I'll upgrade in time but already such a nice upgrade. Can always change later at that price

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has fitted the Transporter HQ moulded cab carpet? it fits straight over the oem cab rubber floor, looks like you bond it down with spray glue...

Be interested to know what the quality is like, or am I better off looking for an oem carpet and replace all together (heard not great things about the oem carpet though).

Cheers.

Check out my build thread in my signature. I have fitted one. The THQ one is a Newton Commercial Moulded Carpet set. You only glue it at the sides of the wheel arch. It does not get bonded to the rubber flooring.

I will warn you, it's not straightforward and it took me a few attempts and quite a bit of cutting to get it to fit (as is described in a couple of videos online). Now it's in it looks awesome but definitively not a plug and play.

IMG_20200822_151653_394.jpg

Excellent, cheers @Roberts
I'll have a look at the videos then. Is the fit pretty tight, ie. no excess, creases etc (was this what the trimming had to alleviate?).

If going oem are any of the carpets deeper/thicker to match the cali floor height?

There is a little bit of excess around the tunnel. I bet you could get a perfect fit if you spent the time but it was one of those jobs that for all the extra time the benefit would of been minimal. It's nothing noticeable and just one of those where you know it could of been better but no one else would.

If going oem are any of the carpets deeper/thicker to match the cali floor height?

As for the cali floor height being raised. My ply is tapered towards the seats so the height is reduced towards the cab.

There is a little bit of excess around the tunnel. I bet you could get a perfect fit if you spent the time but it was one of those jobs that for all the extra time the benefit would of been minimal. It's nothing noticeable and just one of those where you know it could of been better but no one else would.

Cheers.
Whats the quality of it feel.like, ie. it won't wear prematurely or anything? Ill be sticking some oem rubber mats over the top.

Those cali seats in yours? I'm going for a pair hence thinking of a carpet to cover the holes in the rubber floor.

Quality is spot on. Very good pile to the carpet. I have put a custom mat over the top to protect too.

Yeah they are cali seats. I had the same issue but I did the carpet for the feel. I really hated the rubber in the cab,

As for the cali floor height being raised. My ply is tapered towards the seats so the height is reduced towards the cab.

Ahh, I didn't do that. Mine is the same height and finished with some silver anodised angle. Can just make it out in this pic.
Will need to sort out the holes and new trim where the double swivel was too, more work :laugh:

IMG_20190801_162038.jpg

So has anyone raised the cab floor height to match the cal/caravelle floor height? Or is it a case of buying a cali/caravelle front cab carpet section?

Cheers.

Resurrecting this thread as I'm considering putting carpet in the cab, having just removed the rubber floor, which wasn't difficult. You don't have to remove the lower dash, but I suspect it would be easier, but even that is not a difficult job with instructions on here.

So could anyone give me a part number and preferable cost for a cab carpet for a non-comfort dash T6 PV?

Or I will happily swap my rubber floor for a carpet, as mine's a 2019, so plenty of life left in it.

Edit: Second thoughts, having watched the THQ video and with a VW carpet likely £670-ish, I'll pass thanks!

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread as I'm considering putting carpet in the cab, having just removed the rubber floor, which wasn't difficult. You don't have to remove the lower dash, but I suspect it would be easier, but even that is not a difficult job with instructions on here.

So could anyone give me a part number and preferable cost for a cab carpet for a non-comfort dash T6 PV?

Or I will happily swap my rubber floor for a carpet, as mine's a 2019, so plenty of life left in it.

Edit: Second thoughts, having watched the THQ video and with a VW carpet likely £670-ish, I'll pass thanks!
Does that mean you’re refitting the rubber tomorrow

The plot thickens. I've come back to this thread as we are followed the same path as @Roberts and @j4ckal with cali rails and floor. Now trying to navigate the floor level mismatch and how to keep our new favourite item, the MS Craft swivel

Back