Cab - replace rubber with carpet

Evening folks,

Currently on the hunt for a Caravelle/Shuttle cab carpet to replace the rubber floor currently fitted in my Kombi. Now VW want mega £££. Have tried a few breakers with no luck either. Anyone up for a swap, reason I ask as reading previous threads there were some swaps happening.

T6 SWB, Single passenger seat.

I have been looking at the various options for fully carpeting the cab area.

Some options seem to fit over the rubber floor - not sure that's what I want as in my thinking this will make it harder to achieve a great OE standard of finish.

I'm looking for a high quality of carpet and something that fits well - appreciate there will be some work to fit it!

Has anybody looked at this and gone through the options available? I've seen an item from Brandrup which looks like high quality velour carpet but also looks as though it fits over the existing rubber mat. Difficult to tell as they only show one image of it on their site.

Is there an item out there that fits my requirements?

TIA!

As above says THQ have done one now which looks like the OEM. cab carpet you get in a kombi if you order carpet from factory. I have this in mine.

The caravelle cab carpet is different to the kombi carpet, it is a lot more plush and it is thicker were it meets the rear floor joint so it Finnish level .

I would like one for mine to Finnish my caravelle interior but for new they are a big cost . only seen a couple of second hand ones. They looked rubbish and still big money TBH

I'd noticed the THQ one but it fits over the existing rubber mat which I think will make it difficult to get a good finish. Even in their images the finish doesn't look great.

Also I think it uses a fairly cheap type of carpet.

Soooo... I'm thinking of carpet lining the squashy rubber cab floor that came with my T6. Its the one you get in the highline panel van.

Has anyone tried this? I've finished the rear and have quite a lot of carpet left over.

The plan is to put proper mats on top to protect it afterwards. Just trying to make it feel a bit less 'panel van'

It's only my opinion but I wouldn't do it. You would have to stick it down which I don't think would do the existing rubber floor much good and I really don't think it would respond well if it ever got wet (or even damp).. You might think that 'proper mats' would protect it but........... IMHO, you would be much better off buying a decent mat made specifically for your van from somebody like Rugsforbugs.

Reactions: DXX
Hi I received one of these for father's Day.
Really happy with quality, and the price means I don't have to worry if it gets muddy.
Specific designs for 1 + 1, 2 + 1 seats and swivels.

Hi I received one of these for father's Day.
Really happy with quality, and the price means I don't have to worry if it gets muddy.
Specific designs for 1 + 1, 2 + 1 seats and swivels.
i think i'll grab that - is it a good fit?

I have to agree with all of the above if replacing the floor then go with THQ.

However personally I have a rubber front floor, with a removable carpet mat, so easier to clean - When installed also works perfectly with the caravelle interior we have installed. Mine is megavanmats.

@Mojave Frank I thought of doing the same, but had concerns about it getting a bit wet. In the end I ordered the THQ moulded carpet for £240. The quality is not as I’d expect from VW OEM, but better than carpet lining. I haven’t fitted it yet as it requires seats and lower dash trim removal, so need a day spare!! I’ll send update/pics when it’s done!

Back