Boarding over Shuttle rear windows

huw169

Black 199 Shuttle
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all
Did a search, but didn’t find anything.

I’m seriously considering buying a shuttle as I quite like the full windowed look, but want the interior of a kombi. Has anyone stripped out all the panelling on a Shuttle and boarded the interior and covered the rear side windows? I would plan to limo tint them first.
The rear row of seats would not be going back in.

Just considering options.
Thanks

Or maybe buy a kombi and fit the rear windows? Shuttles can be expensive to insurance with some companies as they are classed as a minibus in some cases.
But in answer to your question I’m sure it possible, but how you finish it off with the roof and other remaining panels might look odd

The rear quarters have plastic panelling and different pillar trims that fit nicely with the different head lining. Plus it probably has the auxiliary rear heater on the drivers side.

You’d be buying quite a lot of high spec stuff to bin lots of it.

Have you seen a shuttle or just like the spec?

I've had two shuttles and I would say its a lot easier for you to get a Kombi and put in windows. Defeats the purpose of buying a shuttle IMO.

You could just put black vinyl (paint wrap) film on the windows to block all light and keep the trim as it is.

As above really @huw169 ,if you just want the windows right round look,much cheaper to buy a Kombi and have the windows fitted,thats what we didIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098.jpgIMG_1282.jpg

Also, false glass panels are available to mimic windows that are simply stuck over the metal (leaving a small vent gap in the adhesive on the lower edge).

Ignoring the glass part would a shuttle not be better speed limit wise than a Kombi? Car limits on a shuttle is it not or is that just velle’s?

Good if you convert later as getting a T6 through the DVLA for motorcaravan status seems difficult/impossible now?

Or maybe buy a kombi and fit the rear windows? Shuttles can be expensive to insurance with some companies as they are classed as a minibus in some cases.
But in answer to your question I’m sure it possible, but how you finish it off with the roof and other remaining panels might look odd
Interestingly one of the attractions of buying the Shuttle I’ve recently purchased was the insurance was much Cheaper! Direct Line certainly just view it as a big MPV. Mine was ex Motability even though it was only 10 months old - must have been taken off them as normally they’re 3 years minimum. Anyway, as a consequence, I had to tax it at a Post Office manually because I was changing the Taxation Class from ‘disabled’ - and it comes up as M1 Diesel Car, so at this age (2019) just the standard £150 Road tax too. Bargain!

Interestingly one of the attractions of buying the Shuttle I’ve recently purchased was the insurance was much Cheaper! Direct Line certainly just view it as a big MPV. Mine was ex Motability even though it was only 10 months old - must have been taken off them as normally they’re 3 years minimum. Anyway, as a consequence, I had to tax it at a Post Office manually because I was changing the Taxation Class from ‘disabled’ - and it comes up as M1 Diesel Car, so at this age (2019) just the standard £150 Road tax too. Bargain!
Ps - car speed limits too!

I have a factory 9 seat window van. Dropping to 8 seats made £1k difference to the insurance! Its also classed as a car so normal speed limits.

I have a factory 9 seat window van. Dropping to 8 seats made £1k difference to the insurance! Its also classed as a car so normal speed limits.
Wow. £320pa with Direct Line, fully comp, low excess, business use included - but that’s business as in a car going from meetings to meetings not commercial fare paying - I’m not a taxi!! I must be an old git!

Wow. £320pa with Direct Line, fully comp, low excess, business use included - but that’s business as in a car going from meetings to meetings not commercial fare paying - I’m not a taxi!! I must be an old git!

Mine is about that with one seat removed and declared mods (wheels, suspension etc).

Was three years ago now, but I found Shuttles cheaper than the equivalent aged Kombi. I have limo tint on rear right window which hides the furniture behind just fine. No issue with insuring with Privilege at the time. Plus as mentioned, cheaper road tax, class 4 MOT, car speed limits and most are T32's. H7 headlights also.

I've got a shuttle, 8 seater with 2 captain seats up front. I tinted the rear windows and also removed the rear bench. I doubt they will go back in but it's nice to have the option.
My insurance is £400 fully comp fyi.
The reason I had a shuttle was because I found them to be cheaper than a kombi.

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a few days away so couldn't respond.

Firstly cost. Shuttles are way cheaper. Take a look. The same age van with same mileage, the Gross Shuttle price will be about the same as a Net Kombi price, sometimes the Shuttle is even cheaper than that.... It makes absolutely no sense, other than those of you who are VAT registered are happy to pay way over the odds keeping the commercial vehicles cost high.:rolleyes:;)

Secondly, headlights. I cant afford LED's on a Kombi as well as the VAT, but Shuttles come with H7 headlights as standard. Way better than H4.

Thirdly, seats. The second row is 3 individual seats, and the twin slider is a bonus for me. Kombis with a 2+1 come with a bigger cost premium. I just have no need for the third row hence the question about boarding it out.

I agree, some dark tints would be good, and I can build a stand alone bed in the back, but I was just curious to see if anyone had boarded it, and how they might have achieved it with the trim issues.

Car speed limits, class 4 MOT, lower tax, 3 Zone air con, Shuttles don't come with a decent stereo, parking sensors, of MFSW, but those are not difficult to sort.
I got quoted £470 insurance with mods and parking on the road, so not too bad, but I will try Direct line. Thanks

Was three years ago now, but I found Shuttles cheaper than the equivalent aged Kombi. I have limo tint on rear right window which hides the furniture behind just fine. No issue with insuring with Privilege at the time. Plus as mentioned, cheaper road tax, class 4 MOT, car speed limits and most are T32's. H7 headlights also.
I just bought a shuttle in july, lwb, 9 seater t32, i thought it was a class 7 mot, no?

Back