Boarding over Shuttle rear windows

Thanks for all the replies. I've had a few days away so couldn't respond.

Firstly cost. Shuttles are way cheaper. Take a look. The same age van with same mileage, the Gross Shuttle price will be about the same as a Net Kombi price, sometimes the Shuttle is even cheaper than that.... It makes absolutely no sense, other than those of you who are VAT registered are happy to pay way over the odds keeping the commercial vehicles cost high.:rolleyes:;)

Secondly, headlights. I cant afford LED's on a Kombi as well as the VAT, but Shuttles come with H7 headlights as standard. Way better than H4.

Thirdly, seats. The second row is 3 individual seats, and the twin slider is a bonus for me. Kombis with a 2+1 come with a bigger cost premium. I just have no need for the third row hence the question about boarding it out.

I agree, some dark tints would be good, and I can build a stand alone bed in the back, but I was just curious to see if anyone had boarded it, and how they might have achieved it with the trim issues.

Car speed limits, class 4 MOT, lower tax, 3 Zone air con, Shuttles don't come with a decent stereo, parking sensors, of MFSW, but those are not difficult to sort.
I got quoted £470 insurance with mods and parking on the road, so not too bad, but I will try Direct line. Thanks
I boarded drivers side rear quarter and limo tinted rear windows, its fine, you will need to remove heater unit though so you will loose rear aircon.

I just bought a shuttle in july, lwb, 9 seater t32, i thought it was a class 7 mot, no?
Shuttle isn't a 'goods' vehicle. Its a passenger car. Have a look and see whats on your V5. Mot classes are listed here...

The SE model comes with window blinds too, well mine has, I limo tinted too 20200820_144552.jpg

First transporter so didnt realise about the cheaper road tax. How much are 150bhp Kombi
Ps will try direct line next time if they are ok with mods

@Doulsy Did you strip out all the interior trim and headliner? I assume you have gone full camper so the converter may have done it?
No rear aircon in the van i'm looking at, so no big deal.

@Doulsy Did you strip out all the interior trim and headliner? I assume you have gone full camper so the converter may have done it?
No rear aircon in the van i'm looking at, so no big deal.
Yeah stripped trim boarded and carpeted, just doing a bit when I can, be next year before units go in. BTW I got £900 for my rear seats

@Doulsy Nice. I don’t suppose you took any pics while you were doing it?
Any difficulty in matching the carpeted board to the existing trim at the front?
Thanks

@Doulsy Nice. I don’t suppose you took any pics while you were doing it?
Any difficulty in matching the carpeted board to the existing trim at the front?
Thanks
yes, needs tidied up, gonna cut the front off original roof trim and see if i can do anything with it, took some pictures i think.

I've had the Shuttle a month now, and been pondering options. We have decided to leave it as is for now, and just build a bed in the back. We've bought the rear quarter thermal covers, so will just use it for a year or so and see if we can adapt. We only use it as a day van and occasional sleeper, so shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks

FYI regarding Tax on the shuttles. My 2018 LWB SE is £400 plus a year till 2024 because the original purchase price was north of 40k . So be careful.

That's a thing now with ALL new car/van purchases....

Blame the GOV....

Also check the v5 document as mine was lost by the dealer so I couldn't. When I received it 8 weeks later I saw it was listed as a 9 seater even though it was an 8 seater (two captains up front) which like people have said doesn't help with insurance.

Also check the v5 document as mine was lost by the dealer so I couldn't. When I received it 8 weeks later I saw it was listed as a 9 seater even though it was an 8 seater (two captains up front) which like people have said doesn't help with insurance.
It doesn’t mater what is stated on v5. You insure it for what it is. Mine is the same.

It doesn’t mater what is stated on v5. You insure it for what it is. Mine is the same.
Unfortunately it does matter mate, Insurance companies balance a probability of risk based on your registration which is the V5, what you tell them is a small variable. You can tell them it's worth a grand or hundred grand it doesn't really matter to the premium. If you have a diamond encrusted steering wheel they will still only payout on a replacement of the same year and milage.

Unfortunately it does matter mate, Insurance companies balance a probability of risk based on your registration which is the V5, what you tell them is a small variable. You can tell them it's worth a grand or hundred grand it doesn't really matter to the premium. If you have a diamond encrusted steering wheel they will still only payout on a replacement of the same year and milage.
Yep, my word that it's an 8 seater (now it's actually 6) doesn't count for squat. They just look at the computer which says nine seater and give you a quote accordingly. It's random though I'll give you that. Just Kampers who I've insured my previous conversions with wanted a grand a year (because they said it was classed as a nine seater minibus) whereas admiral did it for about 280... Finally got my v5 now so will get it changed to 6 seats and fingers crossed means I can get insurance from anywhere at a reasonable cost. Will keep you posted...

Yep, my word that it's an 8 seater (now it's actually 6) doesn't count for squat. They just look at the computer which says nine seater and give you a quote accordingly. It's random though I'll give you that. Just Kampers who I've insured my previous conversions with wanted a grand a year (because they said it was classed as a nine seater minibus) whereas admiral did it for about 280... Finally got my v5 now so will get it changed to 6 seats and fingers crossed means I can get insurance from anywhere at a reasonable cost. Will keep you posted...

The ins co will base it on risk, but that only depends on how many people it can carry. If I insure as 9 and carry 8. No big deal. If I do it the other way and have an accident I’m in the shit. I asked them when I insured if I delete the rear bench will it change my premium and the answer was no. So I don’t have it fitted all the time but still insure as 8 on their advice.
I suggest you talk to A-plan or Brentacre. They really don’t care how many seats it’s says on the v5, but what the vehicle is.
The only time it matters is in the event of a crash when the van is inspected. If you have more seats than declared to ins co you’re stuffed.
If a fancy steering wheel is fitted, cost agreed, then it is covered. Your premium will be affected. Same with wheels, etc. It’s the basics of how insurance works.

@huw169 I used Adrian Flux when mine was a shuttle and had a year to convert. They did it for me for £250 Fully COmp. Good luck

Back