Bluetooth Battery Monitor

The_Lad

T6 Guru
i have a ctek250 for charging the leisure battery from the alternator and soon also a solar panel, I also have a VictronConnect charger for when on hookup which has Bluetooth showing the battery charging.

What I would like is a Bluetooth module to show me battery status and current in/ out while not on hookup ie charging from alternator / solar or drain from whatever is running at the time

Has anyone got a recommendation?

Cheers
Justin

The Victron BMV-712smart is considered on of the best options . . . . . . (I've got one too)

BMV-712 Smart
With Bluetooth built-in, the BMV Smart is ready for the Internet of Things (IoT) era. With Bluetooth being implemented in most other Victron Energy products, wireless communication between products will simplify system installation and enhance performance.

BMV-712 Smart - Victron Energy

Victron Energy

Reactions: mmi
The Victron BMV-712smart is considered on of the best options . . . . . . (I've got one too)

BMV-712 Smart
With Bluetooth built-in, the BMV Smart is ready for the Internet of Things (IoT) era. With Bluetooth being implemented in most other Victron Energy products, wireless communication between products will simplify system installation and enhance performance.

BMV-712 Smart - Victron Energy

Victron Energy

Bit more than I wanted to spend is there the same sort of thing without the screen? So I just monitor from my phone?

I'm pondering doing just such a monitor, to display alternator or B2B current, solar current, ehu current, overall drain/charge, each with amp hours, and also starter & leisure battery voltages. For a prototype I used one of those tiny 1.3" OLED screens but It could be bluetooth to a phone app, my problem is I'm not an Android developer so the phone app is a problem, thats why my current bluetooth monitors just use a terminal screen & simple text on the phone.
It uses readily available (ie cheap) components and wouldnt be anywhere near £200
wink.gif

van_monitor_640.jpg

To keep it simple, all you need really is both voltages and a bi-directional amp-hour display, if its positive you're charging ok, if its negative then you're discharging and you should watch the Ah discharged vs battery capacity... might do a simple one to 'test the water'
afro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't Ctek have a cheap bluetooth option with app?

i'm sure i've seen it somewhere

*edit added the product page

CTX BATTERY SENSE

yep, I've got a few of those too,

Have a look at the BM2 blutooth battery monitor also.

they are not battery shunts . . . . . . just fancy voltmeters . . . . . . but if thats all you need =]

Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?

Battery Chargers - How I Did It -

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

i just re read the OP post and noticed he had the victron bluetooth option, which is the same as the ctek.

my bad...

My VictronConnect is only peered up when on hookup so I want a Bluetooth module that connects to my phone, I don’t want a separate screen.

I’ll look at some of the above suggestions

Nasa has one listed - (its 100A max rated)

but the APP looks a bit weak compared to the Victron one,

Nasa
BM-1 Bluetooth Battery Monitor

BM-1 Bluetooth Battery Monitor - Nasa Marine Instruments

https://www.nasamarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/BM1-Bluetooth.pdf

BM-1 Bluetooth Battery Monitor

Specifications
Supply voltage 8 – 16 Volts DC

Supply current 2.0 milliamps

Battery capacities 5 – 600 AMP Hour

Load current 100 AMPS Maximum

Charge current 100 AMPS Maximum

Shunt Standard 50 millivolt @ 100 AMP

Monitor unit with L.E.D’s for power and data

Minimum voltage visual alarm

Simple operation – Setup via App on phone or Tablet

What’s in the box
  • Monitor unit with L.E.D’s for power and data
  • 100 AMP shunt
  • 1 Metre cable from monitor unit to battery – fused and fitted with ring terminals for shunt, fuse holder and M8 ring terminal to battery.
  • 100 AMP shunt link to M8 Ring terminal.
  • User Manual

Back