Blown Turbo Hose…

RK04DUB

VIP Member
Evening all.

The bus has been sat for about a week, rolled back and fourth a few times to access the garage, but not used. Tonight I took her out for a drive to fill her up ready for a long drive and as I went from 1st - 2 nd, it sounded to back fire and I lost any real power. She’d drive, but no real acceleration for a 2.5 174. Popping the bonnet I found the hose had blown off. Easily fixed although I noticed were to the located lug, so may replace, but my real query is the quantity of black oil inside the turbo housing and the pipe. Should there be oil here? Once I got it secured and took her for a drive, she was back to normal, but in harder acceleration there was a hell of a black cloud coming from the back. It soon stopped and none has since appeared, but have I done damage? Is there anything I should look to do going forward? Any reason for it to happen or just a random occurrence?

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_3348.jpeg

There will always be some oil carry over found in the induction from the crankcase breather (PCV) and the turbocharger seals.
The black smoke is caused by ’excessive fuel’ as mass air flow sensor is measuring the air flow and the engine control unit (ECU) is adjusting the fuel injection quantity accordingly.
Your van is loosing air so you have excessive fuelling and resulting soot, if to carry on driving like this this you will block the DPF with soot.
Hoses are easily available, if in a remote area use tape, superglue after de-greasing etc.

Always good practice to pull the lower induction hose off the intercooler periodically (depends on oil consumption rate) as if the oil is sucked into the engine you’ll find yourself doing the fast track training for Santa Pod without prior warning.
Not only does this run the risk of destroying the engine from overspeed you are guaranteed to end up sitting in the RAC van with sh1tty underpants.

Oily deposits is normal in the charge air path.

And black smoke with a poped turbo hose is also normal.

No damage would have occurred during that short period.

@DXX has done a much better job describing why above.

So I'll just add that I'm agreeing with what he says.

Thanks for the responses. Helps me with a journey ahead.

Is it worth replacing the hose with an updated item,
Or just a standard replacement part?

If there is a revised item it’s generally based on a recognised weakness being identified, if you are unlucky it’s a cost cutting measure (reduction in quality).
I’ve had boost hoses last 20 years +, luck of the draw.

Hi thanks for the info above it’s been very useful. I’ve had the same thing happen to my t5. I’ve replaced the hose and now instead of blowing white smoke the exhaust is blowing black smoke and dropping some oil. I’m finding the replies above a bit confusing . What should my next step be to get her running again?

Back