2018 204ps Turbo gone @96K -To be expected, early or just unlucky?

Ashok2429

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

So on the way down to Cornwall last week, got as far as Exeter, van went in limp home mode with an all mighty screech coming from under the bonnet. Managed to get her off quickly at the next service station and rang the RAC. This isn't thread about how poor they were (they left the Mrs and the dog at the service station to wait for her parents to pick her up +2 hours later, that was after waiting for over 4 for them to come in the first place) as they couldn't tow it to destination apparently on a weekend, god knows...complaint being penned as we speak.

Anyway, guy said it was the turbo that had gone, they quote £3.5K to fix, but I told them just to bring it back up to Bristol to my local garage to take a look. Took them a week...so garage won't even be getting their hands on it until tomorrow.

No hint of any issues with it in the past other than an pressure overboost warning last September, garage had it on the computer, cleared the fault and said to keep driving and see if it returned as could be a sensor issue. It didn't until it blew up last week!

Not heavy on oil, less than 1-2L between annual services.

Van did 68K in the 15 months or so from new before I bought it as a courier, then I've done roughly 10K a year on it since, mixture of mile types but as the only vehicle in our house it does do a fair amount of short trips with for the daily dog walk.

Does this seem early for a turbo to go on these, would the short trips be a contributing factor?

Will see exactly what the issue is when the local garage strip it down this week, hoping there isn't too much other damage caused at the same time....

we have another 204 bi-turbo failure thread on here . . . . . . . . . . . ( need to find a link )

not common at that mileage,

Back