Bloody fickle vans!

SamD

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Van has been in my garage for a few months as life is super busy at the mo! Had it plugged in like my old T5 which had a vsr and kept both leisure and main battery charged. This van has a stirling charger and its only kept leisure battery charged so wouldn’t start today when i went to use it.

Then once jump started i realised i had a stop start error which thankfully went away after an ignition cycle.

Next issue is i no longer have indicator ticking which is rather annoying.

Next one is i drove up to Darlington and my coolant has pissed out, its covered the front bumper so i assume radiator! Gonna see how much its lost tomorrow and see if its worth calling RAC or just topping up! Also why is my coolant pink when according to all the guides it should be the purple stuff? 2017 2.0 150bhp. I've thrown some more pink in from halfords for now!

Bloody vans, anyway here it is all pitched up for the next few days.
IMG_5191.jpeg

Is that a hot tub?!
Looks like a nice pitch.

Don’t let the van issues ruin it, nothing that can’t be sorted (although I fully appreciate the frustration).

Is that a hot tub?!
Looks like a nice pitch.

Don’t let the van issues ruin it, nothing that can’t be sorted (although I fully appreciate the frustration).
Yeah its a wood fired one! Going to enjoy our break and sort it when im home!

the vw coolant is a pink colour.

any water leak needs urgent attention, overheating will knacker the head - so shouldn't ne driven.

have you got VW Assist? - call out the silver van guys? - they can get you looked in quick.

+++++++++

as for charging, yes the EHU only charges the LB,

you can use various methods to charge the starter battery from EHU.

the popular methods are:

connect the charger to the starter battery, and let the dc-dc charger top up the LB,

fit a second charger to the SB.

sit a AMT2-12 revers charger - that trickle charges the SB from the fully charged LB.

more info here:

the vw coolant is a pink colour.

any water leak needs urgent attention, overheating will knacker the head - so shouldn't ne driven.

have you got VW Assist? - call out the silver van guys? - they can get you looked in quick.

+++++++++

as for charging, yes the EHU only charges the LB,

you can use various methods to charge the starter battery from EHU.

the popular methods are:

connect the charger to the starter battery, and let the dc-dc charger top up the LB,

fit a second charger to the SB.

sit a AMT2-12 revers charger - that trickle charges the SB from the fully charged LB.

more info here:

I've got a spare ctek charger so just going to use that the next time i lay the van up! Didnt plan on leaving it parked up for so long but life happens.

I've got RAC cover, did think about using it but also thought i could just keep topping it up on the drive home. Heading home tomorrow so maybe worth calling them today.

Reactions: CAB
RAC came yesterday evening and found the leak. Its on the lower additional radiator, he wanted to put some rad seal in which I declined. He did kindly leave me with some epoxy metal which i managed to make stick this morning even though it was damp and it made it all the way home with no further leaks!
IMG_5220.jpeg

Possible stone chip damage?

Though your rad fins look very bent up? (Jet washing?)

It may start leaking from the rear of that repair.... So if you are not replacing the rad keep an eye on the coolant level.

Yeah its 100% a stone, you can see where its clipped the fin on the bumper insert as well. Will get a new radiator as soon as its booked in for its service. It got us home with no leaks so thats the main thing!

Back