Idiotoc question, van battery flat whilst plugged in to mains.

The black mamba

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Help please. On the power board I have a switch marked "van" or "car" I thought (told when purchased) that when plugged into the camp site mains that the switch should be on car (which in my opinion should really say leisure battery). Tried to start the van this morning and it's absolutely flat (no one else knows yet), can someone save my pride and help explain why everything in the van works such as fridge/ interior lights and yet somehow I now have a flat engine battery?
I'm assuming the mains cable does not charge the main vehicle battery as well as the leisure battery then?

Thanks
Al

Do you have powered doors/tailgate? One possibility if all your 12v campijg loads are still working fine but it won't start is that the "normal" car loads like those doors or the standard (non camping) lights have flattened the main battery. If that's the case then you might want to investigate if your system trickle charges the main starter battery, or see if it can be added.

As @Dellmassive says a picture would give some clues.

Last edited:
Trouble uploading a picture . Hardly any reception but should have posted as says 100%. I'll keep trying, thanks for all replies.

Do you have powered doors/tailgate? One possibility if all your 12v campijg loads are still working fine but it won't start is that the "normal" car loads like those doors or the standard (non camping) lights have flattened the main battery. If that's the case then you might want to investigate if your system trickle charges the main starter battery, or see if it can be added.

No, no powered doors.

Thanks. Hopefully the picture is on here now.

So that's a vertical version of this

And the key but from the manual is this

Screenshot_20230816-182254-01.jpeg

So @CAB called it, they got the switch position mixed up at handover, you want to be in VAN usually, CAR is an emergency position to use the vehicle battery if you have no EHU and the Leisure Battery is flat

The thing that is confusing is that I would expect (and would have implemented if it was my product) that the battery meter would reflect the condition of the battery in use.

But no it's always the Leisure Battery :rolleyes:

That's just confusing and leads to your situation where the control panel seems to be telling you you are fine while actually your most important battery is on it's knees.

This problem (or similar ones) crops up frequently. I can't get my head around why anyone, manufacturers/converters etc, would even dream of giving the option of running the domestics off the van (starter) battery, it beggars belief. IMHO the starter battery is sacred, not to be touched apart from its raison d'etre, it should be protected at all costs. Giving a facility to flatten it just to keep the lights on is bonkers.
I'll get me coat...

I'd agree, I can sort of understand a system that could connect the Leisure Battery to the Starter in an emergency to self jump start (even though I think there are better ways of doing that) but to have the battery gauge be that misleading...

It's really difficult to understand why the language used on the switch is so confusing, completely agree that the main vehicle battery is sacred. I can get around a pint of milk warming up or the ham going off but the bloody vehicle not starting is ridiculous.

Reactions: CAB
It's really difficult to understand why the language used on the switch is so confusing, completely agree that the main vehicle battery is sacred. I can get around a pint of milk warming up or the ham going off but the bloody vehicle not starting is ridiculous.
Depending on your skills, I’d either be electrically disabling the switch, or sticking some tape over it.

So that's a vertical version of this

And the key but from the manual is this

View attachment 209878

So @CAB called it, they got the switch position mixed up at handover, you want to be in VAN usually, CAR is an emergency position to use the vehicle battery if you have no EHU and the Leisure Battery is flat
Thankyou, that's really helpful. Thank...... for the battery pack I purchased before this road trip.

Wouldn't it make sense to be able to charge the main (engine) battery when hooked up to the mains in the same way as the leisure battery ? @roadtrippers manual pic explains the differences for each switch selection but no mention of charging the main battery, I'm assuming newer panels must be able to do this?

Back