Bloated Black Kombi Build - #vanlife2.0

Managed to do one front coilover in 2.5 hrs :thumbsdown:

What a ball ache :oops: wish I’d paid the money for someone to do it.

Oh well, got the other front one to do which should be a bit quicker as I’ve now done one.

Then the rears that look to be piss easy in comparison - might have it done by Monday lol
Which Monday?!!

Which Monday?!!

Been thinking about how it played out and I know what I did wrong and why I had such a battle with it - so I reckon the other side will be much easier :cool:

So, hopefully the next Monday (hope so as I’ve got to use the van for work!)

Not entirely sure what coil overs are, but my mind is seeing your van driving round with one corner lower, like a flat tyre.

My next priority is to lower the van - am settled on ST-X coilovers but as I am working from home less than I was I am unsure when is best to get them ordered - need to be in for delivery as unfair to expect the neighbours to take in such a large/heavy parcel.

After that will be wheels - Navis Twin 5 (virtually identical to the two sets of Amarok Canteras I had on the last van) is top of my list but also like the SuperMetal Cells. Might even go for another set of Canteras if I can find some. Would need a 15mm rear spacer if I did.

View attachment 161338View attachment 161337
What tailgate spoiler is that please? Looks great.

So, today was better - second front coilover and both rears done and dusted in 4 hrs.

Still think I should have paid to have them fitted but it’s done now…

60FBD6D3-7E14-4273-8A88-E36A47912093.jpeg

STXs - front and rear all the way down - there is no weight in my van it’s just a Kombi.

Wheels next - might need to raise the front slightly but will decide when I get the wheels - not decided on 19” Canteras or 20” Navis Twins or Supermetal Cells or whether to go bronze or silver or gun metal :whistle:

8ABE8F80-4BC5-458D-98A8-9FDB3AB0F368.jpeg
29ADB7AD-62EB-4FDC-8D63-E7284B3D6D46.jpeg

Fitted the Kiravans RIB single passenger swivel today - wanted to retain the rear base plastic panel so trimmed the top at the point where it changes direction by 90degrees - basically the bit that sits on the top of the base. Still clips in ok.

Will think about trimming the seat side plastic where the swivel handle sits - although I don’t really want to. To avoid trimming it looks like I just need to pump the seat up three or four pumps and then the lever clears the plastic.

603240D2-73EC-4C18-8505-6B04A0A294A9.jpeg

I was worried about the height difference between the passenger seat with the swivel and the driver seat - I have them both on their lowest height setting and it isn’t really noticeable. Passenger seat is now approx 1” / 2.5cm higher.

If it bugs me too much then I will raise the height adjuster on the drivers side a couple of pumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
I am thinking of trimming my passenger seat rear panel so it does't get knocked off every time the seat swivels.
Any chance you could post a photo of where you cut it and also how you cut it?
I would be most grateful:)

I am thinking of trimming my passenger seat rear panel so it does't get knocked off every time the seat swivels.
Any chance you could post a photo of where you cut it and also how you cut it?
I would be most grateful:)

Sure thing.

I used my multi-tool but you could use a Dremel or a finetooth saw. You basically need to remove the hump. The trimmed plastic panel still clips in between the seat base.

283E88F0-B476-4E42-B727-0F05839DCB3D.jpegB5A2C5F5-71F5-46AA-A386-679962D9077F.jpeg

OMG just got another set of Canteras (this will be my third over 4 years and 2 vans!) :unsure:

I saw some appear last night on FB marketplace that were in Upminster - about 25 miles away and virtually in Essex. Messaged the seller this morning to arrange to collect and was told they were in Hastings not Upminster :mad:

So, I explained that was too far and perhaps they should update their advert.

Got home from work and set about ordering some 20s - couldn’t find any Navis Twins in stock anywhere online, so thought I’d check my email and discovered one from eBay with new items for my saved search for ‘Amarok alloys’…..

Set of 4x brand new wheels only take offs and offering postage had been listed today - so I hit buy it now quick before they got snapped up by someone else :cool:

7FDE041F-647B-4EC6-A676-EB49B13EB219.jpeg

Got a few bits incoming....

Front splitter
Kombi carpet mat
Matt black VW badges
Inner rear wheel arch liners
Tapo CCTV camera
12v to 9v convertor for the camera
Oh and the new wheels above :thumbsup:

Well, after just over a year of regret (since selling my previous T6) and feeling sad every time I saw one of you coming the other way in your Transporter, we are back with a bang - she is lowered with STX coilovers and sitting on some Canteras…. just waiting on the centre caps :whistle:

DF6C94EA-87AD-43F6-9679-CFABF357D7FD.jpeg

Obviously not finished (they never are) but the big ticket items are done and all is well in my world.

3AC42005-8E81-4BD0-847C-4B202D12D4F4.jpeg922B6093-3735-41DC-B24D-6338D7D04E55.jpeg

Well, after just over a year of regret (since selling my previous T6) and feeling sad every time I saw one of you coming the other way in your Transporter, we are back with a bang - she is lowered with STX coilovers and sitting on some Canteras…. just waiting on the centre caps :whistle:

View attachment 164805

Obviously not finished (they never are) but the big ticket items are done and all is well in my world.

View attachment 164806View attachment 164807
Vans lookin well buddy. What tyre size fits those rims? Do they also need spacers?

Vans lookin well buddy. What tyre size fits those rims? Do they also need spacers?
Thanks man.

245/45 load rated at 102 so fine for T26/28/30.

No spacers fitted in the pics but I am likely to fit a 15mm spacer on the rears to bring the back wheel out a little.

All the info you could ever need about these wheels is here 19" Amarok Cantera Wheels

Introduction

Welcome to my build thread for my new (to me) Deep Pearl Black T6 Kombi.

Bloater is a nickname I’ve had since I was a teenager :rolleyes:

This is my second Transporter - last one was a Reflex Silver panel van I did Kombi conversion on myself.

I had it 2.5 years and in that time is was lowered for a while, then it was a Swamper and during the time I had 3 different versions of interior including a kitchen pod and slide out rear pod/seating and an extra set of floor mounts to enable me to move the 3 seater bench back creating more interior space.

View attachment 161295

View attachment 161315

View attachment 161316

View attachment 161317

View attachment 161318

I sold the van in March 2021 and regretted it ever since.

Transporter Number 2

Fast forward to 2022 and I was on the hunt for another van.
I know you’ve gone kombi this time instead of PV to kombi, but do you remember what thickness ply you used for your flooring last time?

I know you’ve gone kombi this time instead of PV to kombi, but do you remember what thickness ply you used for your flooring last time?
Hi @Jwardy23 I bought a genuine Kombi padded floor last time with the other Kombi conversion parts instead of ply. Sorry can’t help you. Here is one of the for sale advert photos…

BB037808-3D47-49E1-90BF-62596240F5E0.jpeg

Back