Blacked-out grille trim and badges

Whereas I am simple and I love my smoked sequential lights (from travelin lite). I now have sequential lights at the front and rear too, but the sidelights still give me most pleasure. :) (and at least 10x cheaper than the others!)

They aren't sequential no, I'm not a fan so went for good old fashioned flashing ones!

They are these ones, fit spot on, no errors etc

lovely thank you, hadn't thought to look there :thumbsup:
was looking at the Vanstyle ones (non sequential currently £10!) vs Travlin'Lite. hmmmm decisions...

I saw @cgtmiles pictures of his silver van with the Travelin Lite smoked sequential repeaters and, also owning a silver van, just had to get them too! Arrived within two days by courier and they are great quality and a really pleasing and stylish upgrade IMHO.
This forum, internet shopping and too much time on my hands is becoming a dangerous combo...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

lovely thank you, hadn't thought to look there :thumbsup:
was looking at the Vanstyle ones (non sequential currently £10!) vs Travlin'Lite. hmmmm decisions...
I looked at them but the plastic surround doesn't look gloss black to me, don't need anymore bare plastic already got a load on the van :rofl:

Here you go, I sprayed my badge and strips myself, the rest of the grill is still plastic, I've got a spare one to get glossed so it all matches once we're allowed out again :thumbsup:

View attachment 66781
Can I ask what products did you use to spray the badge and chrome trim black? Did you key the surfaces first? Primer, lacquer?

Thanks in advance.

Can I ask what products did you use to spray the badge and chrome trim black? Did you key the surfaces first? Primer, lacquer?

Thanks in advance.

aware that wasn't aimed at me but thought i'd chip in! :cool:
- i just used Halfords gloss spray can (£7) wiped the badges down with a degreaser first and then sprayed them. gave them a couple of coats.
they're not perfect but you'd not notice unless you were looking for imperfections.

aware that wasn't aimed at me but thought i'd chip in! :cool:
- i just used Halfords gloss spray can (£7) wiped the badges down with a degreaser first and then sprayed them. gave them a couple of coats.
they're not perfect but you'd not notice unless you were looking for imperfections.
Awesome, did you key the surfaces first with sandpaper or just spray straight on?

Thanks in advance.
Keyed with some 400 grit, then plastic primer, gloss and lacquer over the top, 3 coats of each with a bit of wet sanding in between to keep orange peel down :thumbsup:

Awesome, did you key the surfaces first with sandpaper or just spray straight on?
Keyed with some 400 grit, then plastic primer, gloss and lacquer over the top, 3 coats of each with a bit of wet sanding in between to keep orange peel down :thumbsup:

aaaah see @RedUn did it properly!!? :thumbsup:
- i just sprayed straight on. tbh i wasn't convinced i was gonna like it so this was the easiest and cheapest way to get the look.

Can I ask, How long did you leave between primer, base colour and then lacquer? Some say leave it a week before lacquer? Surely if can all be done over two days? It's only two lengths of plastic trim??

Can I ask, How long did you leave between primer, base colour and then lacquer? Some say leave it a week before lacquer? Surely if can all be done over two days? It's only two lengths of plastic trim??
I left 15 mins between the last coat of colour and first coat of lacquer. I tried leaving it for a day or so and the finish wasn't as good:thumbsup:

Back