Bilstein B14's Leaking

steveo1986

T6 T32 150 Manual Highline SWB Oryx White
T6 Pro
Whilst my T6 was in getting the EGR cooler replaced the VW technician noticed that the front drivers side shock is leaking quite heavily.

Has anyone else had this issue with the B14's? They were fitted just under a year ago.

Interesting, I will watch the outcome of this with interest. I cannot recall the warranty period of B14s, but I'm sure it's at least a year.

Edit: just looked on the Bilstein website and there is the normal warranty terms and conditions, but I cannot find the length of the actual warranty, but most big suppliers/installers give 2 years :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Interesting, I will watch the outcome of this with interest. I cannot recall the warranty period of B14s, but I'm sure it's at least a year.
As far as I am aware they have a lifetime warranty. I am just not really sure how to go about claiming on the warranty

As far as I am aware they have a lifetime warranty. I am just not really sure how to go about claiming on the warranty

See my edited post above.

The terms seem to indicate that the faulty part has to be sent back to Bilstein for investigation, which seems an obvious pain in the butt.

See my edited post above.

The terms seem to indicate that the faulty part has to be sent back to Bilstein for investigation, which seems an obvious pain in the butt.
Yeah that isnt ideal especially when the vehicle is used daily!

I contacted the compnay that fitted the part last night so hopefully I get a response from them this morning.

Yes that will be warranty.

The supplying dealer have to buy the shock
And replace, it then gets sent back to Bilstein who will credit them back after inspection. Bit arse about face but they do have a very good warranty. We had one go on a van that had done 80k in under two years, replaced no problem. We’ve also just had a brand new one go.

If I can be of any help just ask.

Yes that will be warranty.

The supplying dealer have to buy the shock
And replace, it then gets sent back to Bilstein who will credit them back after inspection. Bit arse about face but they do have a very good warranty. We had one go on a van that had done 80k in under two years, replaced no problem. We’ve also just had a brand new one go.

If I can be of any help just ask.
Thanks for the information.
The coilover was replaced as part of an insurance repair after I hit a huge pothole. The repairer is just trying to find out how to go about claiming on the warranty with Bilstein so I will pass this information on to them.

Cheers

Thanks for the information.
The coilover was replaced as part of an insurance repair after I hit a huge pothole. The repairer is just trying to find out how to go about claiming on the warranty with Bilstein so I will pass this information on to them.

Cheers

You are sure the shock was actually replaced?

Didn't know that. I was last there about 2years ago because Eibach was opposite and was 1 company when I was there.

Hi stevo just wondering did you get anywhere with the replacement on warranty through Bilstein or the supplier?

To my disappointment took delivery of brand new b14s from vanstyle last week and had them fitted yesterday - the mechanic warned me the front left shock was a little ‘wet’ and to keep an eye on it. Well I returned from work today and after about an hour of being home I went to check on it to find honestly a shocking amount of oil from the shock all over the inner arch and on my drive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To my disappointment took delivery of brand new b14s from vanstyle last week and had them fitted yesterday - the mechanic warned me the front left shock was a little ‘wet’ and to keep an eye on it. Well I returned from work today and after about an hour of being home I went to check on it to find honestly a shocking amount of oil from the shock all over the inner arch and on my drive. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vanstyle should swap it for you if it's new, but i'm at a loss why a mechanic would fit a shocker he can see leaking :confused:
Now you have the hassle of going through having it swapped out, when it could of been resolved far more easily, surely.

Tourershine - I agree completely, only for my naivety not really knowing the severity of a leaking shock or I would have told him to take them off again.

Back