Bikes below bed; Could this work?

stevemorg1

VIP Member
Am seeing if there is a way to convert my LWB Kombi to be able to sleep and store MTBs securely at the same time . Was thinking about some sort of platform bed raised up under which I could clamp the bikes to the floor by the front wheels with droppers lowered (or outposts out) to save height.
Would need a pop-top as the bed platform would be too high to sleep comfortably (don't want to sleep on a pop-top bed) - has anyone done anything similar?

Out of interest, why wouldn't you want to sleep on a bed in the pop top?
If your going to all the trouble/expense of having one fitted then having to make a bed that will sit underneath it (that realistically can't be used unless the roof is up), why not just sleep up in the roof. Surely easier to make a panel to sit in the pop top than a whole structure to sit below it?
Saying that have you seen the S+S bed that lowers from the roof, I'm guessing you could set that at what height you want then, not sure if compatible with a pop top though.

With my seat slid forward on the rails I can get a few bikes in the back of mine (lwb, full furniture) and will sleep in the pop top.

I've a couple of mates with approx 1/3 height beds and the bikes slide underneath - front wheel off, bars turned. Popping them in a bag first would make it easier/less scratchy.

J4jackel,
fair point but I'm a big bugger and whilst I never had any real problems when I went in the SCA bed on my T5 I never felt quite right - I'll have a look at the S+S bed though
Boxelder,
thanks - that is an option - just trying to cut down on faff and the reason I got rid of my T5 SWB was being able to keep the bike secure whilst sleeping

I was about to suggest buying a high-top, but I assume you’re already in possession of your van @stevemorg1 ?

Back