Bike rack

GordyT6

Refrigeration Install Engineer
T6 Pro
I've just tried my boss's bike rack off his T6 but I won't hook on the rear door of mine because of my rear spoiler. Now can you get different hook sets for spoilers? or can you only fit if you don't have a rear spoiler?

For that reason, and not wanting a rack on permanently, I had a removable tow bar fitted ,I went for an Alera Strada DL3. When attached with bikes, mtb's with 760mm bars, the whole thing slides away from the van and you can still open the tailgate.

Same here I had a removable towbar fitted and use a Thule rack that leans away from van allowing tailgate to open with bikes on

Asked the dealer about having a towbar fitted for bikes, he said it's very expensive and if it's only for bikes just buy a diy kit and do it yourself as you won't need to code the van as it won't be a lot of weight

I do at the moment but if I'm loaded with work stuff may not have room in the new one

Asked the dealer about having a towbar fitted for bikes, he said it's very expensive and if it's only for bikes just buy a diy kit and do it yourself as you won't need to code the van as it won't be a lot of weight

Bike rack and towbar are about the same price, but unlike a bike rack a towbar can do more than carry bikes..... Worth having...

Reactions: Ade
Bike rack and towbar are about the same price, but unlike a bike rack a towbar can do more than carry bikes..... Worth having...
Dealer fit tow bar is 850 ish, bike rack that I want is £395, but it's a tow bar mount.

Last edited:

"only for bikes?"

I'd then proceed to tell him how much my bikes are worth and watch him gulp very heavily. o_O:eek:

My dealer wanted over £1000 to fit full detachable towbar, i found out who they farm the work out too, went direct, got the towbar fitted and top range thule bike rack and change from a grand

My dealer wanted over £1000 to fit full detachable towbar, i found out who they farm the work out too, went direct, got the towbar fitted and top range thule bike rack and change from a grand

Are you pleased with it? Where you based @Pauly

Yes, virtually concealed electric plug (below/behind bumper have to bend down to see it) and swan neck bar when removed wouldnt know its there
I had it done in Plymouth, they fitted full Westfalia kit which is OEM stuff same as from a dealer but its where my van would have gone anyway if i had left it with dealer

Will get the thumb screws out on him tomorrow, will phone him as well instead of emails. That will throw him as he knows I'm away

Getting it done for £675 including coding much better than the dealer as that's a detachable one. They wanted £1200 at VW. Just need to get van so it can all start being done

Hi all, some expert advice please - I can't go for the VW rack as I have the rear spoiler fitted so have to go with a tow bar option - I also have the rear camera though so wondered if anyone had any experience of this and how much the view is restricted when the rack and bikes are on?

Cheers

Back