Bike rack

Yeah I get that .... but all bike racks themselves have a weight limit. So, as a MTB rider, I was just trying to helpfully add that consideration into your equation. The Thule XT3 three bike rack you mention has a total weight limit of 60kg, so could only carry 2 Ebikes max even as a 3 bike rack.

I think the nose weight limit on the detachable towbar is still 100kg so your circa 70kg for bikes and rack should be fine. If you look at the accessories brochure the VW 2 bike towball rack has a load limit of 60kg and the 3 bike 54kg - this suggest to me that circa 60kg plus the weight of rack is the max, i.e. larger rack for 3 bikes reduces the load limit by 6kg.

One thing that worries me a bit about the towball racks is the position of the weight some distance back from the towbar meaning that the weight is no longer applied straight down, i.e. the tow ball becomes the fulcrum and increases the down force on the tow ball?? Putting the heaviest bike closest to the van would help address this?? (Wish I'd paid more attention in Physics class!! :) )

Back