Bike Rack Security

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've decided to get a bike rack and am deciding between the Fiamma carrybike and the VW one. The Fiamma has the advantage that it is only a 2 bike rack and therefore a bit smaller It will carry 1 emtb (and sometimes a small child's bike) but I can't see how it or the factory one actually attach to the van. Is one more secure than the other? I'll chain the bikes to the rack but that won't be much help if it's a piece of cake to pull the rack off the van. Also wondering if it's OK to run a hefty chain round the bike frame and through the rear towing eye?

Not sure how the Fiamma one attaches but the VW one hooks over the top of the tailgate and then fastens around the sides - it also has inbuilt locks to secure each bike to the rack - could be removed by someone determined and with the kit to dismantle or cut but it is relatively secure. No reason why you couldn't secure with additional chains to rack and/or towball. Ultimately, though, if someone wants them and has the kit, they'll get them - we just use the inbuilt locks - if someone really wants the bikes they re insured and I'd rather they take them and minimise any damage to the van and/or rack.

Not sure how the Fiamma one attaches but the VW one hooks over the top of the tailgate and then fastens around the sides - it also has inbuilt locks to secure each bike to the rack - could be removed by someone determined and with the kit to dismantle or cut but it is relatively secure. No reason why you couldn't secure with additional chains to rack and/or towball. Ultimately, though, if someone wants them and has the kit, they'll get them - we just use the inbuilt locks - if someone really wants the bikes they re insured and I'd rather they take them and minimise any damage to the van and/or rack.
Thanks, good point. Yes I'm just thinking of ways to put them off trying. I need to organise some insurance for the bike too.

Thanks, good point. Yes I'm just thinking of ways to put them off trying. I need to organise some insurance for the bike too.
Friends of ours were in France a couple of months ago with a top spec MTB and an E Bike on the back of their T5 camper - bikes were chained on to rack but both were stolen on the first campsite they stopped at - insured but took the shine off of their tour a bit. Fortunately no damage to rack or van.

I wouldn’t trust the racks with expensive bikes on them. They are good to take bikes from A-B but I don’t take my eyes off mine if I can’t chain them up at ground level.
It’s a quick win for any thief unfortunately

Yes on reading various accounts I've decided not to go for a rack, at least that'll save a lot of money. I've been out to test the space using my cheap and rarely used 26" bike and I can just fit the bike inside the van, though it would be really in the way and would have to be constantly moved around depending on what I'm doing. It will fit much easier in the car (Volvo estate) and I think I will probably use this for transporting the bike, unless I'm going to be overnighting. One more sign that makes me consider a bigger van. I think my T6 days may be numbered...

We have a 2 bike rack, normally with 1 bike on it but if we are leaving the van for any amount of time then the bike goes in the van - just have to remove the front wheel to get in. For the sake of 2 mins, it’s not worth leaving it there.

Pete

What’s stops a low life scadger undoing the 4 torx bolts on the securing mounts and waltzing off with your expensive rack?

What’s stops a low life scadger undoing the 4 torx bolts on the securing mounts and waltzing off with your expensive rack?
Nothing really apart from them damaging the Rack and Van trying to lift it off.

There’s really no damaged incurred once the torxs are fully removed. Unless I’m missing something?

The key thing remember about a rack is they are for transport not storage. Great for getting A-B but not great at being a secure storage device.

Any determined theif with the right tools (they even carry battery grinders) can cut through locks/racks/brackets even parts of the bike if required. Racks will have a level of protection from the opportunist thief but only for a short period like at a petrol station etc..

Ideally they need to be fixed to something anchored like a purpose built bike stand, chained to the van (through alloys tow eye/bar) or kept in the van itself.

I know some people who have secured the bik e to rack as best they could and it was nicked, others have only used the basic rack straps and never had a problem.

If you’ve got a £5k bike or anything else worth £5k it’s not wise to leave it unattended with “basic“ security.

Last edited:
There’s really no damaged incurred once the torxs are fully removed. Unless I’m missing something?
They are anti tamper Torx, the rack comes with a special tool to undo/tighten them. Wouldn’t stop a determined thief, but it helps. We fasten our bikes to the rack with a separate chain.

They are anti tamper Torx, the rack comes with a special tool to undo/tighten them. Wouldn’t stop a determined thief, but it helps. We fasten our bikes to the rack with a separate chain.
I had my bikes on last year and for the first time I forgot to Lock the securing arms . I went into go outdoors to pick up a BBQ and within 5 mins they had been stolen. I assume that the scum that just like to tack rather than work for nice things are aware that it’s worth a go to see if they are locked. I understand it was my fault but my 11 year old was in the van at the time and was petrified as he ran in to tell me after they had gone. I am insurance with M&S for my house insurance so I called them on the off chance and they were covering. They got a bike company call me and within 4hrs and within 3 days I had a new bike.
The weekend away was ruined and my son was upset the van and rack weren’t damaged but like I say if they see them they must think it’s worth a try. I have a chain lock that goes around them and the rack for extra security also a bike cover to so they aren’t on show and it’s just another thing they would have to remove to get them. I would level them on over night if I can help it.

Anyone know of you can buy a replacement torx key for the VW rack? Bought mine used so it didn't come with one.

Recently bought a Thule Wanderway tailgate rack (which is fab!), but like other similar racks is only secured by 2 security torx screws, and I now realise that you can remove the rack without opening the tailgate if you're prepared to lose the two lower clamps, which I imagine are easily obtainable & cheap spare parts. So a little paranoid about having it nicked while I'm out biking & parked up at local woods or trail centres. I'm sure I've read about people having them nicked.

Has anyone replaced the torx bolts with anti-theft bolts or have any to recommend?

I had seen some anti-theft bolts online and thought I'd sussed it, but having now had quotes, they are mostly min order of 10 & up to around £140 for 10 & the bolt head socket, which is a bit steeper than I was expecting :oops: and think there must be another solution. Are 2 hole pan head bolts any more secure than the hollow torx bolts?

Anyone tried anything or do people just make do? May be overthinking it, but having had things stolen before, I'm probably a little more security conscious than most and curious what others do?

Thanks everyone

Stop worrying. If somebody wants it, they'll take it, start adding security bolts & they'll just do more damage. I've never heard of one being nicked.

Recently bought a Thule Wanderway tailgate rack (which is fab!), but like other similar racks is only secured by 2 security torx screws, and I now realise that you can remove the rack without opening the tailgate if you're prepared to lose the two lower clamps, which I imagine are easily obtainable & cheap spare parts. So a little paranoid about having it nicked while I'm out biking & parked up at local woods or trail centres. I'm sure I've read about people having them nicked.

Has anyone replaced the torx bolts with anti-theft bolts or have any to recommend?

I had seen some anti-theft bolts online and thought I'd sussed it, but having now had quotes, they are mostly min order of 10 & up to around £140 for 10 & the bolt head socket, which is a bit steeper than I was expecting :oops: and think there must be another solution. Are 2 hole pan head bolts any more secure than the hollow torx bolts?

Anyone tried anything or do people just make do? May be overthinking it, but having had things stolen before, I'm probably a little more security conscious than most and curious what others do?

Thanks everyone
to be honest all the anti tamper bolts screws sockets the bits for undoing them are readily available some of the fencing we install has anti tamper fixings but we can get all the bits on the internet so any would be thief is going to come equipped and it would be no harder to remove anti tamper than standard fixing

Yeah i dont hold much faith in anti theft bolts, at all.

I'd say a better bet would be to lock the bikes and chain around to the tow hook, using a mini D-lock and a couple of kryptonite flex cables. Not fool proof, obviously, but would take more effort (time and noise) to remove than the bolts

Back