Fiat Ducato motorhome crash test video, scary!

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
not sure if this has been posted before but pretty scary how the inside fell apart.

Yep, doesn’t surprise me that the furniture breaks up at all.
It makes me cringe when I see people putting 20Kg leisure batteries in the back of the van, guess where they are heading in a front end collision.

I remember seeing inside footage of a fiesta in a crash with a load of tools etc inside the boot. It was surprising how much stuff from the luggage compartment made it into the cabin!

Yep, doesn’t surprise me that the furniture breaks up at all.
It makes me cringe when I see people putting 20Kg leisure batteries in the back of the van, guess where they are heading in a front end collision.

Mine would have to go through my fridge first!

I'm not in the least bit technically minded but, personally, I'b be very surprised if the furniture in most camper conversions survived any better than that in the same circumstances. TBH, I've no idea how mine is fixed to the walls or floor of the van but I do know that the panels are mostly held together by little plastic brackets. Hopefully those very heavy supposedly crash tested beds would at least stay in place though.

Mine would have to go through my fridge first!
It will go through the fridge, a 20Kg battery stopping dead from 60MPH will have a mass of 540Kg so it will need some pretty good restraining system to prevent it continuing on it’s journey.

I don't think that's too bad, I also think most campers/motorhomes would be the same, especially dare I say it where furniture made of particle board has been DIY installed. A lesson to make sure heavy objects are secured though. One thing which was good with that layout was how well protected the kids were!

As an Automotive engineer (BMW), what scares me is how the front seat backs move backwards in the crash leaving a large distance between the passengers and the seat. This just causes whiplash.
The wooden furniture does what is expected. We have to be careful that doors don't open in a crash, but the emergency services need to get in easily. I would expect the locks on the furniture to be much better. I don't like seeing the glass flying out the draws towards the passengers. Having a secure locks on the furniture is essential.

Back